Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: manioc flour tortillas! page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

manioc flour tortillas!

Shop Now
    manioc flour tortillas!

Photo0300 by SaoirseCaesar2011, on Flickr

Photo0299 by SaoirseCaesar2011, on Flickr

you can see underneath, no breakage! the texture was soft and breadlike. here's my rough guesstimate of the recipe (I didn't measure):

1/2 cup manioc/tapioca flour
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    garlic salt
    oregano
    pepper
    onion powder
    2 eggs
    a few tablespoons of milk

mix it all together until smooth. the consistency should be runny, like cream. pour a bit on a hot pan and cook like a pancake. nummy!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I am a manioc flour addict, so this is definitely being made soon.

Pizza/Rolls/Bread Sticks/ and now Tortillas.

whoop whoop

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Wow. Those look delicious! I guess I need to try manioc flour -- where do you find it?

Thanks for sharing!

bob's red mill carries tapioca starch, which is actually what i used. so i'd check health food stores, or any specialty store that caters to brazilian food (i think). if all else fails, you could order some off of amazon.com. i *believe* cassava, manioc, and tapioca are either the same thing or at least interchangeable.

i used the leftover one in a not so primal way by reheating it on the skillet and then topping with melted butter and powdered sugar. very similar to indian fry bread.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Is the pizza in your photostream also made from manioc?

fyi: nutsonline.com carries the stuff for $3/# (less if you buy bulk), much better price than I've seen in stores around here

fyi #2: for those of you who are severely, pants-crappingly gluten intolerant, tapioca is still a no-no
    Last edited by Chaohinon; 08-15-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Betho is offline Senior Member
    Thank you! I've been meaning to try and make something like this. Manioc flour is the one that I can get the cheapest. I used to make about 3 dozen flour tortillas by hand every week and now I've been buying them since my DH is the only one who eats them - but I want to make a substitute!

Oh and I get mine for $1.14/lb in the bulk section of my local grocery store (Winco). It's called tapioca flour and it's the same thing.

As a side note, every time I read "Manioc flour" it makes me think of Robinson Crusoe...

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Saoirse. I have been using corn tortillas (sparingly) but have been wanting to try something else cuz of the voice in the back of my head telling me I shouldn't be eating the damned things.
    I tried the coconut flour torillas. Those suck. Both in flavor and making them.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i'm the worst "bread-like item" cook around but those look like worth giving a shot. I don't know why but everything i ever try that includes "flour" in the recipe has been a huge failure for me.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
    i'm the worst "bread-like item" cook around but those look like worth giving a shot. I don't know why but everything i ever try that includes "flour" in the recipe has been a huge failure for me.
    I don't think you can really blame yourself for that. Almond and coconut-based bread substitutes really are just awful any way you cut it, and unnecessarily expensive. Using a fat-source to mimic the texture of a starch-source is just a huge fail, and a caloric disaster as well.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast