Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: manioc flour tortillas! page 7

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    anyone try this with a liquid other than milk? not interested in having milk

thanks!
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
    anyone try this with a liquid other than milk? not interested in having milk

thanks!
    I used almond milk and water (separately, not in the same batch) and they both worked fine.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    I used warm water. Turned out fine! Can't do much dairy personally, but I used raw parmesan cheese, and had minimal digestive issues if any, and truth be told they could have been from the tapioca flour (a starch).

LOVE these btw! Even my non-primal friends & family dig them!

Thanks for recipie OP~

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, is this supposed to be really eggy? It came out like an egg pancake, eggy enough to that my egg hater boyfriend wouldn't eat them. He said it looked like an omelet pancake.

My plan was to make 2 tortillas, fill them with cheese, then melt into a cheese quesadilla.

It looks really good to use as a wrap, though!
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

sarahmasteller is offline Senior Member
    Awesome Thanks - can't wait to try! I have tried a few other "primal tortillas" and they didn't hit the spot

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    These are great~! I do them non-dairy mostly. Use water in place of milk. Or sometimes a little raw parmesan if I take lactaid. I do a morning crepe with them - using apple sauce or grated apple in place of cheese, without savory spices, adding cinnamon & nutmeg. Wrap them with almond milk yoghurt & top with jam or honey = delish! and a nice treat without going too "non-primal."

Make the original savory version for taco night and/or when I need a treat. They also wrap well around "sandwich" ingredients. Freeze well. Keep in fridge well. Makes about 4 largeish tortillas they way I make mine or 6 medium sized.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Thinking about making this for some 'bread' to go along with my soups. Hmm i'm stuck on whether it's worth using alternative flours.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Bravo Saoirse!

Wanting something a little stronger than lettuce leaves for our usual Friday evening Chilli I considered making up some cream cheese pancakes that work out really well for Enchilladas Suizas, but don't quite cut it for Chilli wraps.

I was reminded of your neat idea by google and decided to have a go ...

I like how you said you didn't weigh or measure, just went for it, but the guidelines were good.

I deviated, as I always do ...

I began with sour starch (or, polvilho azedo) - half a cup (a real cup), then, some pecorino cheese ... some, unmeasured, but grated and tamped down it might have made a quarter of the cup I used for the flour and two eggs. Whisked together with a fork (coz Grok didn't have a food mixer, right? Or because I don't have a food mixer!). With no milk in the house, I do have butter! About a 1cm slice off the end of a stick.

The mix was now pourable, but certainly not a batter ...

Enough water to loosen it up to a batter and then chilli flakes and marjoram

Why? I like marjoram and I fancied pepping up the tortilla.

Poured into a skillet and flipped as the sides started to come away from the pan, coloured both sides and onto a board.

Presenting: Primal Saoirse' Manioc Tortilla

Some Chilli:

Make a wrap:

Roll up:

Shove in mouth, get it all over your chin, fingers, dripping up your arm ... grin, chew and enjoy!

Mucho Tequila, too!

The texture is right, the stretchiness is right, much better than sorghum

Bravo, Saoirse! Cheers!

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Anyone got any tips on how i can make these type of wraps without the use of cheese or dairy?

I be willing to use ghee if it helps, or even grass fed butter. Cheers!

also i guess it can't hurt to try a sourdough version?
    Last edited by zizou; 08-13-2012 at 05:58 PM.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Leave the cheese out Zizou. Manioc can take on a stretchiness on its own. I used melted butter rather than milk, but needed to let it out further, so used water.

Mix the ingredients together and let it stand for a while - 10 or 15 minutes should be fine.

I think this is how I'll do it next time, anyway.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast