Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: manioc flour tortillas! page 6

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    tell me how it goes rivvin. i'm curious, but i'm happy with these as a "cheat." i had them today in the form of a quesadilla, and i started to wonder...if you omitted the milk/cream, could this be made into dumplings? not like gyozas, but just lumps dropped into tasty broth. there's also a hungarian soup which consists of tiny bits of pasta in broth, don't remember the name now. a few thoughts i'll tryout sometime in the future.

scubagrok is offline Junior Member
    Loving these. I find this recipe will make 6 thin ones about 5-6inches diameter. Enough to last me all week. I've been slicing one thin and pan frying in coconut oil, makes great crunchy chip pieces for salads.

sounds yummy scubagrok!

i made these for tacos tonight, but we were out of parmesan so i shredded mozzarella. a chunk of the mozzarella made it into the batter unshredded and formed a delicious pocket of melted cheesiness inside of the tortilla. i think there's untapped potential there.

AndySlammer is offline Junior Member
    These look great but...
    Manioc flour has 86g of carbs VS white flour at 95g. Not alot of difference there.
    So I am guessing the attraction / difference is that it's not a grain? So the insulin factor still exists due to the carbs, but the inflammatory effects of grain have been removed.
    Correct?
    Life not only begins at forty, it begins to show.

Antmuzic is offline Junior Member
    I get 4 small tortillas out of a recipe. So today I used two tortillas and had BLT wraps for lunch. Genius! Thanks for idea!

I get 35 Carbs / 237 Calories - so not a health food but it beats a sandwich!

-adam

you're correct adam that it's high carb, though primal isn't actually about being low-carb. lots of us are low-carb, but you're not technically eating unPrimal if you are eating higher-carb. after cutting out wheat for so long, i have unpleasant symptoms if i eat it, so something like this is nice for those times when i feel like having something bread-like. for me, this is more of a cheat than an acceptable primal staple. maybe for others, it might be a post-workout refeed or something. still others might be trying to gain weight, and this slathered in butter might be a helpful dietary staple. some of us also have to feed others, like children, who don't need to eat low-carb.

Brent* is offline Senior Member
    confused. So tapioca starch is paleo and primal? I pretty much thought all flours aside from almond and coconut were on the not to eat list for paleo and primal.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Starch, of any variety, is tolerable so long as you understand that it is an energy source in its own right. Starch = sugar = insulin response ... and fat. People with healthy metabolisms can tolerate this kind of food. Occasionally.

Personally, I cannot abide coconut, nor almond, nor tapioca. Rice flour and potato starch are okay for my palate when mixed with blended seeds, but tapioca carries a really useful stretchiness, much akin to gluten. Having tried it, I just don't like the taste. Shame (for me) since this is a really useful recipe for my non-paleo wife who's along for the ride, but does like her plate of fail, or imitation.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    These things are AWESOME! Didn't crack, split, or break! My Quesadillas are back in business! Thanks for the recipe:-)

brent- manioc/tapioca is a root, like a sweet potato, so it's not a grain. i still wouldn't call these good primal fare, as the whole point of eating primal is to focus on nutritionally dense foods. but technically, they are primal.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast