Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TigerLily... amino acids? page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

TigerLily... amino acids?

Primal Fuel
    Hello TigerLily...

You mentioned amino acids in another thread I started (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35762-2.html) and I am curious about them... why you take them and how they help you.

Thanks!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    TigerLily explains in detail what she takes and why in this thread. She's one of the first posters in it. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread19847.html

HTH!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    healthy11, I had great success with amino acids for depression, and so have two of my friends, following the protocols in "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross. My plan involved mostly l-tyrosine, omega-3s and vitamin D. Another friend followed "The Diet Cure" and has done well with that also... I really recommend the books.

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    I can offer a bit of info and experience with amino acid supplements. For me, they help a LOT but they aren't enough on their own. They do help, though.

The kinds and their effects are:

Tyrosine for dopamine, which is alertness, motivation, energy, etc. Basically what people drink coffee for.
    5htp and tryptophan are for serotonin. Both help with sweet cravings.
    Glutamine is a rapid brain-blood sugar correction, it stops insistent sugar cravings.
    DLPA is for low endorphin and also has a hand in fighting sweet cravings. I actually find that DLPA+ PEA foods like cocoa is pretty effective. And I'm a serious chocoholic.

There's GABA for helping you relax and sleep.

There's also others that Ross doesn't specifically recommend, things like lysine, arginine and so on. I think there's another one that's explicitly meant to amp up a neurotransmitter. Acetylcholine, I think. Though I could have misspelt that I was reading somewhere that this one gets run down from heavy aspartame use, so I ought to look into it.

They have two levels of effect. You should feel them do something within about 10min. They tend to hit me within less than 5, though. This effect only lasts about 2 hours. You then have to take another dose. They also will work on a more long-term level to heal neurochemical shortfalls. In my experience, this DOES happen, but it really does take months.

But they are tremendously useful. In my case, I just needed stronger meds on top of them. But give them a shot.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    CandylandCanary, that's a really good summary. One more thing - if you're taking amino acids as a mood supplement, you want to take them on an empty stomach/between meals. According to Ross, taking them with food (especially another protein) renders them pretty much useless.
    Last edited by paleo_hailey; 08-15-2011 at 09:47 AM.

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    Seconding the between meals thing. The aminos have to compete with any other protein in your stomach to get into your bloodstream- and therefore into your brain. I like to take mine first thing in the morning, and then IF for about 3 hours. I actually find too, that contrary to current CW, it really doesn't pay to eat every 4 hours. If you do that, it's a pain in the butt to coordinate amino doses sufficiently far from the last meal. It's a hell of a lot easier if you eat three meals, or even two big ones.

But in general, you want to wait at least 60min since your last meal to take them. I actually like to wait more like 2hrs minimum. Give them about an hour to sink in before you eat anything after, too.

If you need a FAST pick me up, there's tinctures of things like siberian ginseng or rhodiola, as well as passiflora and so on for relaxation. These go under your tongue, so they can be taken anytime. Same for glutamine.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Thanks for the info! I put The Mood Cure on hold at the library. I bought 5-HTP a couple of years ago when I went off of anti-depressants, but never really gave it a chance. I have crazy PMS depression and mood swings and I am hoping to relieve that with some of that. I have a tendency towards depressiveness kind of in general.

Can anyone recommend good brands of amino acids... 5-HTP in particular?

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Nature's way 5-htp is the brand TigerLily and I have both found success with. HTH!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Thank you, FairyRae... I think that is the one I bought before.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Ok, I thought about posting separately but this is related to aminos intake.

I have heard it recommended to eat something sugary with amino acids to raise insulin enough to better drive amino acids into the brain. This is supposed to be particularly effective with l-tryptophan because carbs also help increase serotonin levels. I read it in mood cure or the other book on aminos etc etc except I am not going to do fruit juices to accomplish this.

I have considered a bolus of honey or blackstrap molasses but I would prefer something with less fructose, but also conveniently handy (don't want to prepare rice or some other starch every time I take an amino).

What would work? I just now thought of Xylitol which is an artificial sweetener apparently with an insulingenic effect. But anyone have ideas?

Ah maybe I will post separately

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast