Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy meat? page

Kaizen Guest

Shop Now

Alright well no doubt that grass fed meat is expensive, so just wondering where everyone gets theirs? I might have to resort to solely getting grass fed meats with produce being from regular stores at these prices. I've seen some places online that ship, although it would be nice to have a whole foods in this area (I'm home on leave). Thoughts? I know Target had some grass fed beef, not much but I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

Jasetyn is offline Junior Member

I'm sorry to rub salt in your wound but I must just say..God bess New Zealand!!! I just got back from a number of any local supermarkets and bought a free-range chicken for ten dollars for Christmas dinner, scotch fillet steaks for 17.99 a kg and fresh beef mine for 7.00 a kg...all grass fed, because New Zealand doesn't sell grain fed beef! What an amazing country. I don't know where to buy grass-fed beef in the US however, maybe google your town or county and see if there are any local farms who sell out? Good luck, it's worth it.

Acmebike is offline Member

Look up your locale here:

http://www.eatwild.com/

You might have some sources in your back yard! Get in touch with a local rancher, do a little digging, hope you can score local Primal foods! A freezer can be a good investment so you can load up on a bulk purchase of grass fed beef (or other?). Don't forget to ask for the liver, heart, tongue, oxtail, marrow bones, etc...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

It's a matter of "work smarter, not harder." Look for a deal, a connection. Talk to people who know people.

In my case, my parents work with a guy who's starting his own boar farm. He buys hay from a guy in the area who has pastured beef. We buy beef, split the cost and the meat, and get a deal. The farmer has a guaranteed sale, so he's willing to give us a break.

Additionally, when we had the cow butchered, I asked that the butcher save the liver, tongue, and heart, as well as kidney fat for rendering. To my surprise, he also kept the livers, tongues and hearts of other beef he processed. It's defnitely worthwhile to get to know your butcher.

Connections, connections, connections.

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

I second New Zealand, wonderful meat products.

When I buy at the grocery here I look for that new zealand beef logo.

maba is offline Senior Member

Target sells grass-fed beef?? I had no idea. Make sure it's completely grass-fed and not grass-fed and grain-finished. I've heard the grain-finished ones not much different than the grain-fed but cost more.

I used to get mine from the farmer's market, but now that it's winter, I had don't have access to them until summer. I recently found "vegetarian-fed free-range" chicken in Trader Joe's. Not sure if they are any better than organic vegetarian fed but I bought them anyway. Eatwild that Acmebike suggests is a good source. Find out if there is a local "Halal" store, sometimes they carry good meat too, but ask to make sure that it is grass-fed.

deanmc is offline Junior Member

I buy from US WellnessMeats

Annika is offline Senior Member

http://www.localharvest.org/ is another site that could help you find a local source of pastured/grass-fed meat. Support your local farmers and help them keep the land in agricultural use!

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Kaizen Guest

Thanks all, sadly "organic" is a new word around this city apparently. Which is kinda sad, there isn't one organic store I've found yet, but I may have to do a lot more digging around. Target seels "Lauras beef", which is apparently a mix of grass and grain fed, which isn't the best but I'll look more into it. If it's true that it's grain fed, then I'll just get regular meat. There are no farms in this area, and most people would give me a dirty look if I said "grass fed" anything. This city is still living in the stone age.

Acmebike is offline Member

Actually, it is too bad your city really isn't in the Stone Age. Everything would be natural and pasture raised!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast