Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone find starches problematic? page

Paleofan is offline Senior Member

Does anyone find starches problematic?

Primal Fuel
    Just wondering if anyone notices weight issues or inflammation with certain starches. If so, do you know why?
    I find that they put me into the overeat cycles of my old diet. if I keep them low, all is well.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Yes, good possibility that you have a bacterial overgrowth in your gut. Potatoes, corn, others and I am burning up. Sweet potatoes don't seem to bother me as long as I don't go crazy with them.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had any issues the very few times I've had starches since going primal. Sugar and wheat did give me giant rush and headache though.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Other than unsoaked brown rice and wheat, nope.
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleofan View Post
    Just wondering if anyone notices weight issues or inflammation with certain starches. If so, do you know why?
    I find that they put me into the overeat cycles of my old diet. if I keep them low, all is well.
    Not personally. But problems with starch seem like they may be not unusual. According to Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, who devised the GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) Diet (which is based on the earlier SCD) many people with troublesome psychological (or physical) symptoms have them because they have difficult digesting certain foods, including starchy foods. So she says:

Your patient needs to carry on completely avoiding starches and sugar for two years at least.
    GAPS diet - the diet for helping with learning disabilities, psychiatric disorders and physical problems, such as autism, hyperactivity and attention deficit, dyslexia, dyspraxia, depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive diso

This, as has already been said in this thread, is thought to be connected with bacterial overgrowth—and actual damage to the gut, which in such cases needs repair. There's a fair bit of evidence to suggest that's right. Avoiding starchy foods, sugar, and some other foodstuffs, and taking some therapeutic measures, such as taking a good probiotic seems to resolve the problem for many people in time.

They don't seem to cause me issues other than more cravings. Is that bacteria? I so lots of other posts where they are more problematic.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    More cravings would be due to blood sugar fluctuations. There are some AI disorders which show great improvement for many with the avoidance of starches, Ankylosing Spondylitis and some arthritis forms. Others probably do as well. AS specifically is due to klebsiella p. overgrowth, C. pneumoniae is responsible for others. If you want to read more about it check out Kickas.org. I'm not saying you have AS, but the site offers insight to the mechanisms behind what's going on.

olivetree is offline Member
    Wheat and sugar (not potatoes) send me into binge mode.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Nope, quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    More cravings would be due to blood sugar fluctuations. There are some AI disorders which show great improvement for many with the avoidance of starches, Ankylosing Spondylitis and some arthritis forms. Others probably do as well. AS specifically is due to klebsiella p. overgrowth, C. pneumoniae is responsible for others. If you want to read more about it check out Kickas.org. I'm not saying you have AS, but the site offers insight to the mechanisms behind what's going on.

After reading the site referenced and other searches, doesn't appear that I have any AS or RA symptoms at all. I'll just chalk it up to more carbs than ideal for me when I add in these foods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast