Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't stop bingeing page 2

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

What Mr. B said.

Also, one somewhat less orthodox way to deal with binging would be eating a huge amount so you end up feeling terrible. Think of it as some sort on inverse Pavlovian effect.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

KXS
    KXS is offline Member

As someone with this problem and struggling, I can tell you the eating a huge amount til you feel sick is NOT a good idea, esp if there are any eating disorder issues here

Its hard, such a struggle, but eating this way makes it less of a constant temptation.

urantia606 Guest

Cravings and binging is a common problem ....... we are surrounded by crappy carbs ....... try having a good quality plain protein shake in the morning and one at 3pm in the afternoon and keep your cupboards bare of crappy carbs ............. and drink lots of water and eat a bit of fruit .. low glycemix when the urge takes over to binge....... these tips have helped me a lot ......... bordem is another trigger ... just keep trying AND never give up ... everyday is a new day ... don't beat yourself up . you are always better than yesterday ..........

urantia606 Guest

Another point I forgot to mention is that having a PLAIN protein shake helps balance your blood sugar and prevents cravings

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

As someone who has battled binge eating and bulimia for much of my life, I do understand. Funny thing is, since going (almost) primal I have a strong aversion to things containing grains. I sometimes give myself permission to have something as a treat, and then I go to the supermarket and find myself looking at desserts or cakes and thinking, no. I can remember exactly how it tastes, and I'll remember exactly how crappy I feel afterwards. It puts me off.

I do still overeat things like nut and dried fruit mixtures, and good chocolate (and despite trying hard I still prefer milk) but given I was someone who used to be able to eat her way through a bag of 10 doughnuts without pausing for breath, I'd say that's progress.

I know in my case the overeating thing is an act of rebellion on my part. Half the time I'm like a sergeant major "Get off your fat a**e and get to the gym you bloated maggot! No you can NOT have that bar of Green & Blacks!" and half the time I'm a naughty child who is sneaking things she shouldn't to spite the sergeant.

In your case it sounds almost as if you are rebelling against the healthy eater your friends perceive.

You need to give yourself some time to think things through (go out, away from food - go for a walk and do some thinking) and work out what the main problem is. That will give you a starting point from which to tackle your problem. Just be aware that no one can be perfect and no fix is instant. Cut yourself some slack and if you slip up, dust yourself off and get back on track rather than use it as an excuse to spiral further into binge eating.

You may also find it helpful to take some powdered glutamine (I take mine in warm water) on rising and at other points when you may feel the urge to binge. It has been used to control sugar cravings in diabetics and can be helpful for eating disorders.

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

avey,

Dirty secret? Guilt? Depression? These feelings may be what's driving you to binge over and over again.

My wife buys these bags of dark chocolate covered pretzels. One day I just went nuts and ate the whole bag. Accepted it and moved on. No regrets or guilt. She still buys them. Once in a while I'll sneak one or two, but I feel no shame in doing so.

"Everyone considers me to be super health conscious"

Is this the expectation from others you place on yourself? No one will think less of you if you eat a biscuit now and then. Just don't create impossible expectations for yourself. And then feel ashamed or guilty you are not living up to it.

-Steve-O

KXS
    KXS is offline Member

powdered glutamine ...I've never heard of that...interesting. thank you

terrax is offline Member
    crepitte, I am struggling with this problem as well and interested in your post. Can you possibly refer me to a book or website that can delve into this more?

Thanks

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Powdered glutamine did seem to make my nighttime cravings go away very quickly.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Simply put, have you tried bingeing on something else aside from grains and carbs?

I personally believe that people are programmed to binge eat. If anyone is familiar with the principles of the warrior diet, which is very similar to PB, it encourages a daily fast during the day followed by eating all the necessary food in one sitting at night. This huge meal, therefore, is pretty much a nightly session of binge eating.

It makes sense too. Early humans did not have the luxury of supermarkets and widely available food. The concept of breakfast, lunch and dinner are purely societal constructs which have no evolutionary foundations. Grok did not sit down to breakfast lunch and dinner. Instead, Grok most likely spent the day sprinting and lifting heavy things on an empty stomach to find food, only to then bring the food back to the cave by nighttime and binge on the day's kill.

It feels liberating. That is also why I am a big proponent of daily fasting. I just don't see the point in breakfast and lunch.

So to tie it into your problem: skip the breakfast and lunch (assuming you partake in these meals) and then feel free to binge on PRIMAL foods during dinner time. That said, skip the pasta and scarf down some veggies, meats and fats instead. You will not feel guilty, not affect your insulin, and will do good to your body.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast