Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kale is... delicious?! Recipe+Question :) page

Savannah is offline Member

Thumbs up Kale is... delicious?! Recipe+Question :)

Shop Now
    So Kale and I aren't exactly best-friends-- more like amiable yet slightly suspicious neighbors, peeking over the fence at each other (yes, I do enjoy anthropomorphizing my leafy greens, thanks for noticing). But I just made a saute for lunch that blew my mind: some summer squash, a garlic clove, leeks, splash of olive-oil and a cut up strip of bacon, all sauteed together with the kale added in last. So f'ing good, and the perfect side to cold roast chicken. This is going to become one of my veggie-staples.

But I'm left with about a 1/2 bunch of kale, and while I could happily re-make my recipe, I'm now curious about other uses for this surprisingly yummy green. Any suggestions?

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    kale chips!
    it's also surprisingly good as a raw salad green-it can take a nice heavy dressing like something made with bacon grease, in fact, I plan to try this recipe this week: Kale Salad with Warm Andouille Sausage Dressing | Paleo Spirit
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    I like raw kale salad. I've read the trick to enjoying it raw is to add salt, which will tender it up. My one meal quick salad is finely chopped kale, 1 TBSP of lemon juice (or more to taste), chopped garlic, a good sprinkle of celtic sea salt and as much olive oil as I feel like. All of this is to taste. The garlic really makes it for me. If you make a larger batch of this and put it in the fridge, the salt will really go to work on it and it will be much nicer and last several days.

Savannah is offline Member
    Both of these sound delicious-- luckily I bought a huge bunch of kale so I have enough to make chips AND salad. By next Tues. I might turn green, but the kale will be finished Thanks for the ideas!!

I never liked kale before this year when I started growing it in my garden. it has thrived and I have had to come up with a few different ways of preparing it. I definitely prefer it raw. The kale salad with sausage (posted above) is good and my husband and I really like kale avocado salad too
    Kale: “The Queen of Greens” | Paleo Spirit
    I took this to a 4th of July picnic and people were very surprised at how much they liked it -several asked for the recipe. I agree that salt and lemon juice sort of "cook" the kale and soften it up without making it soggy.
    P.S. My kids and I have been anthropomorphizing our leafy greens too. (easier to get them to eat greens that way). Collards are very sarcastic.

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    kale chips! i just rip it into pieces, add olive oil and sea salt. bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes. . . even my kids eats it!

GF/NP is offline Member
    Attachment 4466

I agree! Kale chips. Coconut oil, turmeric, cayenne, cumin and salt!!!

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Yum, I'm trying the kale chips with spices!

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Cream kale, either with cow's milk cream or coconut cream, both are great.

+1 for the crispy kale chips too, with salt, salt & pepper, or lemon/lime and chilli flakes

Sauted in butter or coconut oil, or in bacon fat, or for that matter chuck it in the pan after with the chopped bacon you've just cook and stir well so it all gets covered in the fat/grease, yum!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yes it is, my goodness!

i'm also in love with silver beet and swiss chard! i love some hearty winter leaves!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast