Thread: Muscle Soreness and Weakness page

rmshill is offline Junior Member

Muscle Soreness and Weakness

Shop Now
    I have been primal for 4 weeks now and am having muscle soreness/weakness. It feels like I have just run a marathon in my thighs, butt, etc. In fact, even to bend down to clean up toys my muscles hurt. I have taken a few days off from exercise and this morning just did a workout DVD and could hardly get thru it from soreness. Is this from high protein, low carbs? I have been keeping carbs around 20g.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    20g carbs is right in borderline keto territory if you're not doing MCTs and ketogenic aminos. You might be stuck in perpetual "almost keto", which is a bad place to be because your body never fully adapts.

My advice: either go fully keto or up your carbs. Don't be stuck in the middle.

The Science Behind The “Low Carb Flu”, and How To Regain Your Metabolic Flexibility

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    I doubt from high protein, low carbs. I would say normal if the exercise is a new thing. If that's the case more rest between workouts. What do your workouts consist of?

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Some folks (particularly more active ones) find keeping too low carb causes these issues. Have you read _The Primal Blueprint_? Mark does not recommend staying under 50g carbs for more than a short period, and recommends 50-100g carbs for fat loss, 100-150g carbs for maintenance (and more if you are training much more than the average primal person.)

How active are you? How often to do you work out and how? I personally would up the (PRIMAL) carbs (fruit, veg, etc) into the ranges Mark recommends and see if that helps.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have problems with pretty bad muscle weakness and soreness as a result of magnesium and potassium deficiency. I use a supplement for both and it makes a world of difference. It can be very hard to get enough magnesium through diet. For potassium I think you can try bananas, avocados, etc. You can also try adding in bone broths seasoned with real sea salt.

Good luck - I know how annoying it can be!

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Try magnesium before bed. And eat coconut butter/oil to get the MCTs!