Thread: I'm munching on a crazy awesome salad for breakfast page

MaLink is offline Member

I'm munching on a crazy awesome salad for breakfast

And this would have surprised me last week. It's been about five days for me going primal and I'm shocked that I no longer crave my usual food standbys. Now I want salad and meat and more of it! Still having a hard time with not counting calories or weighing myself on the scale, but this is fun in a way.

Incidentally, my breakfast salad:

Tomatoes
    Banana peppers
    Red, Orange, Yellow Bell Peppers
    Fresh mushrooms
    Red Onion
    Mixed baby greens with raddicchio
    A chopped up hamburger patty
    Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
    No dressing! I can't believe that either, especially that it tastes great without it.

What kind of surprises did you run into on your own primal journey?
    Doing the Primal 30 Day Challenge since August 8th, 2011!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Early on I was very hungry for salad. Never had it for breakfast though. More recently, there was a period when I ate the food you mention nearly every breakfast but I stir fried them and put the stinky cheese on top.

After about a year, I am not hungry for much. It is 8:30 am. Since about 1 pm yesterday I have had a glass of whole milk and a handful of pork rinds. I am starting to get hungry. That is after being a constant snacker all my life. (And yesterday's lunch was not at all primal. Little protein or saturated fat. It was a tribal celebration meal - authentic pad Thai and spring rolls. And some avocado-coconut-chocolate mousse that I took.)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

ErikaE is offline Member
    I'm only a month in but my tastes have changed a lot too. Fruit juice, which I used to love, seriously makes me want to throw up -- it's too sickly sweet! I was at a friendly barn raising/triple birthday celebration yesterday, and being there for 7 hours and not having much primal food around, I'd accepted that I'd cheat like crazy. But not only was I not tempted by the horribly party food (sodas, sugary mixers to go with liquor, chips, etc), being around all that fake food completely shut off any normal hunger I would have had....I ended up eating just over 1,000 calories yesterday, most of which came from my breakfast in the morning, and a piece of beef jerky I'd had at lunch. I didn't even realize how little I'd eaten until I got home to plug it into the DailyPlate -- I felt fine the whole time!!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    “The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.” -- Joseph Campbell

MaLink is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Early on I was very hungry for salad. Never had it for breakfast though. More recently, there was a period when I ate the food you mention nearly every breakfast but I stir fried them and put the stinky cheese on top.

After about a year, I am not hungry for much. It is 8:30 am. Since about 1 pm yesterday I have had a glass of whole milk and a handful of pork rinds. I am starting to get hungry. That is after being a constant snacker all my life. (And yesterday's lunch was not at all primal. Little protein or saturated fat. It was a tribal celebration meal - authentic pad Thai and spring rolls. And some avocado-coconut-chocolate mousse that I took.)
    My schedule is flipped because I work nights, so in actuality it was my dinner but it's just easier to not make that distinction sometimes so I called it breakfast. :P

I tried pork rinds for the first time yesterday and I thought they were gross... bacon is way better. Have you had any reaction to the pad thai and spring rolls?

MaLink is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikaE View Post
    I'm only a month in but my tastes have changed a lot too. Fruit juice, which I used to love, seriously makes me want to throw up -- it's too sickly sweet! I was at a friendly barn raising/triple birthday celebration yesterday, and being there for 7 hours and not having much primal food around, I'd accepted that I'd cheat like crazy. But not only was I not tempted by the horribly party food (sodas, sugary mixers to go with liquor, chips, etc), being around all that fake food completely shut off any normal hunger I would have had....I ended up eating just over 1,000 calories yesterday, most of which came from my breakfast in the morning, and a piece of beef jerky I'd had at lunch. I didn't even realize how little I'd eaten until I got home to plug it into the DailyPlate -- I felt fine the whole time!!
    That's awesome! I hope that's how I become too, and I'm glad I'm already showing signs of it.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLink View Post
    I tried pork rinds for the first time yesterday and I thought they were gross... bacon is way better. Have you had any reaction to the pad thai and spring rolls?
    There is much variation in pork rinds. The ones I have now are from Whole Foods. They are baked and have a buttery, slightly bacony flavor. They are large and fluffy, which is what I like. Some people prefer the small hard ones. Sorta like crunching nuts, I guess.

I make something Thai maybe once a week. No bad reactions. I never make pad Thai, of course, because of the carbs. Might make spring rolls with primal filling. This was a birthday party for my son and grandson. So I ate what I call tribal celebration foods. I suppose some would call them cheats. I would not. They are good, traditional Thai foods made by my Thai daughter-in-law. They were the only carbs I had all day aside from some milk.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.