Thread: Making A Plan For A Friend - Would Love Input - Can't Do Leg Work page

Jackel123 is offline Junior Member

Making A Plan For A Friend - Would Love Input - Can't Do Leg Work

Primal Fuel
    Greetings,

I was turned onto this site by a friend very interested in the Primal Blueprint, and as I'm moving toward that myself I've also seen the exercise information here and felt this would be a good place to try and grab advice. I'll be brief and to the point as much as possible.

I have a friend and because I do workouts and am changing my diet, I wanted to help her reach her goals of fat loss and physical health. She is 26, 5'11", 264lbs. Between the years of 16-23 she did kickboxing, was down to 180lbs and low body fat (abs visible). Life took a turn and at her worst she got to 400lbs, and after two years got to 263lbs and stalled.

She made the headway so far with Weight Watchers, and now that I'm involved I've taken her further towards Primal. Easy things (soda, sugar free, low/non-fat, prepackaged heavy carb foods, more fresh/frozen fruit veggies) are already done and in the battle plan, and as I figure more of the diet we will change, but that is something I can figure out.

What I'm struggling with is a workout plan. My first instinct: back to kickboxing/boxing as I've done this and it is fantastic. But, due to her own body particulars and situation, her knees are shot (cartilage gone). She can't kick a heavy bag without pain, can't squat beyond a shallow half squat, lunges are POSSIBLE but not in great quantities, no jump rope or running, but she can work the elliptical.

I'm trying to develop a circuit or training routine of bodyweight workouts, mixed with stand up boxing I think we can still do as long as I don't get her to duck and weave too much, but I would love input on some routines that would be minimal impact on legs that I can put into an interval workout. Pushups, Pull-ups, Stomach, these I've got ideas for...but more would be appreciated...along with diet tips as well, especially from women. As a man, I know what would work for me, but what else can I throw in there?

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Most people would probably recommend downloading the Fitness E-book. Which is great and does not require a gym.

I was already a gym member so this is what I did...The first few months I split my workouts into Upper and Lower body. I went 3x a week. Then I began to focus on specific body parts. Chest and Triceps, Back and Biceps, Legs and Shoulders. I throw Abs in once a week and 15 min of treadmill or other cardio machine a few times a week or substituted a dance class. I've just started taking a cardio kick class Ouch!

Food - The PB works well for me as written. Fat is very important. I add coconut milk, or heavy cream to my coffee, put avocado in my salads and cook with OO or CO. I would have her read up on supplements. I take a lot, but the big three are Vit D (I take 10,000iu), Omega 3 (5 mg) and Magnesium (Natural Calm Powder or citrate pills, 3 tsp of powder) Minimize fruit intake and dairy (butter and HWC only) for weight loss.

Don't worry about grassfed unless you can afford it, Don't try to tweak the program with IF, Leptin Reset etc until you've been on plan for several months.

***Do drink 1-2 cups of bouillon/day at the beginning to help keep electrolytes in balance and avoid the worst of the carb flu exhaustion. The Herb Ox cubes are great.

Hormones can really screw with your eating plan. I still have binge issues around that time of the month even after 10 months on Primal. Even so, I have lost a significant amount of weight and inches.

Good Luck to you and your friend.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67