Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help, I have Insulin Resistance and need to build muscle page

Goldstar is offline Senior Member

Please help, I have Insulin Resistance and need to build muscle

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I'm super excited to be here as I just started going primal this month. I figured since my naturopath told me to go low carb to increase my insulin sensitivity, primal would be a natural fit. I am utterly gobsmacked at how much fat I can eat and not gain weight. Still trying to adjust to the mouthfeel of it and get enough calories, though.

I have also read that the best way to increase insulin sensitivity is to build muscle, of which I currently have zip and here is where I get confused. I'd like to try doing the pull-ups, chin-ups and sprinting and I want to avoid as much soreness as possible so I don't get discouraged. I understand a good way to train, build muscle and avoid soreness is to eat carbs/protein before a workout, drink carbs/protein during the workout and then have more carbs/protein as a recovery drink following.

There's the rub. This is exactly the opposite of the purpose of me VLC'ing...to lower excessive insulin. I'm already thin. So should I ignore my usual VLC'ing during workout times?

Does anyone with IR have any tips or has figured this out? TIA
    Last edited by Goldstar; 08-14-2011 at 09:57 AM.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Both fat loss and weight training will increase insulin sensitivity.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    All that supplementation is for obsessive bodybuilders.
    You can improve your health without it.
    You might need to add some carbs pre-workout to avoid 'bonking' but try working out first and add only what you need.

I'm one of the fools who welcomes soreness so I'm not sure about ways to avoid that.
    I think the best thing is simply to work in gradually.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Donnn is offline Senior Member
    Why are you VLCing if your thin? Have you read Mark's book?

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    You're better off driving the glycogen out of the muscle you have. Doing that should also add some muscle. Second the Body by Science approach. Low carb won't do much when your glycogen stores are full. Fill a gallon jug up with water. When full, run water into it at different rates. No matter what the rate, water overflows(no sensitivity). Goal is to find a way to reduce what's in the jug as well as what goes in it so the jug never overflows(sensitivity). That's how you need to look at your bodies glycogen stores, and the rate at which you fill them by what you eat.

Drive glycogen out of muscle with intense strength training and light cardio.

Control what could go back to storage by controlling what you eat.
    Last edited by pyro13g; 08-14-2011 at 05:51 PM.

bcbcbc2, it sounds like I can begin Mark's program for exercising at the Beginner's level and not have to worry about eating extra carbs, then. Just make sure I eat enough carbs with my regular meals so that I have adequate energy to work out. If not then I should increase my carbs a bit more in the meal just before the workout. Or should I just drink something carby and fast acting like Rice Milk literally just before I start sprinting? (something I wouldn't normally do because my insulin soars.)

js290, great links, alot of info to go through, thanks!

Donnn, no I don't have the book yet, I just joined. I am VLC'ing because I tested positive for IR and my naturopath immediately put me on a low carb diet, even though I am already thin. (I'm not sure why I am IR but it is not from being overweight). I couldn't stick to it, however, because he didn't mention I'd have to increase my fats to compensate and I lost more weight than I am comfortable with. That is what I've learned here. I came here to figure out how to tweak and stick to the VLC diet in a primal way because my doc says it will reverse my IR. He also said exercise was very important. Later I came to find that muscle is the key to this, not necessarily walking. I just get confused because it seems I can either eat low carb or I have to up my carbs again if I want to build muscle and these are opposing strategies, right?

pyro13g, so it would be ok for me to go ahead and keep my walking up and begin Mark's exercises for Beginners, drive the glycogen out of my muscles and then put more glycogen back into the muscles through carbs. Do you think 400 calories in my daily diet in carbs would be sufficient to promote muscle growth? And I don't have to do anything else to replenish glycogen? BTW I'm 5'6 and 119 pounds.

You all have been a big help so far, thanks!
    Last edited by Goldstar; 08-14-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Donnn is offline Senior Member
    Primal differentiates between VLC <50g and Mark's recommendation of LC which is 50g-100g. Did your doc really want you on a ketogenic diet? LC is still much less carbs than the typical diet. I think you will be much more comfortable with all this when you get the book. The cookbook is excellent too. Diet is way more important than weight training. Get your food straightened out first.
    VLC is fine too, if that what the doc wants. But there a lot more food choice at each carb level 25g to 50g to 100g. As you get more advanced in this don't hesitate to get a glucometer so you can know directly how food affects you. These are inexpensive now.

Wow, Donnn, I guess I am doing LC according to those numbers. Sorry for any misrepresenatation on my part, I'm a bit embarrassed. My doc wasn't specific enough, he just sent me a link to a diet page and on that page they weren't specific about calories or grams either. They mainly said stay away from sweet potatoes, peas and other low carb but starchy veggies and stick to the nonstarchy stuff, many of which end up being under 50 calories per serving. I was probably eating between 100 and 300 calories per day in carbs and I was getting sick of eating humongous salads just to keep my calories up. My doc did not mention ketogenic and I don't believe that is necessary to reverse IR.

Get the book, Check!

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
    pyro13g, so it would be ok for me to go ahead and keep my walking up and begin Mark's exercises for Beginners, drive the glycogen out of my muscles and then put more glycogen back into the muscles through carbs. Do you think 400 calories in my daily diet in carbs would be sufficient to promote muscle growth? And I don't have to do anything else to replenish glycogen? BTW I'm 5'6 and 119 pounds.

You all have been a big help so far, thanks!
    100g carbs is fine for growth. Your workout will be what triggers growth. Making a plan to get to some serious strength training, as soon as possible, would be wise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast