Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast weight loss strains heart? page

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member

Fast weight loss strains heart?

Primal Fuel
    I told a friend that I have a goal of losing 50 pounds in the next 5 months. She told me today that if you lose more than 1-2 pounds a week, you'll strain you're heart and it is not good. Is this true? it kinda scared me to think that is true. I would think having this extra fat on me would be worse. what is realistic? I am big enough that 10 pounds a month is doable. I have consistently lost 12 pounds a month before.

Also, I am not really hung up on the actual pounds lost , it is just a goal. I care more about body fat loss. Is it unsafe to lose body fat that quickly? doesn't make sense to me.
    Last edited by primalprincess7; 08-13-2011 at 06:07 PM.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Well, the next five months (including August) are 153 days which is about 21.9 weeks. 21.9 x 2 = about 44 pounds. So if you lose 50 I doubt that 6 extra pounds will matter. Actually, I am trying to think of a nice way to say your friend is full of shit. Sadly, I can't think of one.

That said as you get smaller you will lose less anyway, at least that has been my experience. Not that that changes the facts about your friend.

Edit: I should add that obviously this is based on starting size. Obviously if someone is 120 they should not lose 50 pounds in 5 months (or at all) but if you have a lot to lose chances are you will lose weight quickly at first.
    Last edited by canio6; 08-13-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    The general rule of thumb is no more than 2% of your body weight a week - for most people, that works out to 1-2 lbs a week, which is why that number is so often quoted. If you're heavier than that, you can easily lose more than that. As for strain on the heart, I'd be thinking its a bigger strain on your body to be carrying excess weight than losing that weight. I can see it if you're doing heavy exercise or chronic cardio as the only weight loss mechanism, otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

thanks everyone! I agree. I think it will be fine and it is better to have it off than have extra fat! she kind of gave me attitude when she told me and after i told her it would be healthier to lose the weight than not, so I just let it go.

MaLink is offline Member
    I've never heard that before, what your friend said. Did she have research to back that up or was it just hearsay?
    Doing the Primal 30 Day Challenge since August 8th, 2011!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineC View Post
    The general rule of thumb is no more than 2% of your body weight a week - for most people, that works out to 1-2 lbs a week, which is why that number is so often quoted. If you're heavier than that, you can easily lose more than that. As for strain on the heart, I'd be thinking its a bigger strain on your body to be carrying excess weight than losing that weight. I can see it if you're doing heavy exercise or chronic cardio as the only weight loss mechanism, otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.
    This ^
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't strain your heart unless you are becoming underweight (i.e. anorexics). Biggest Loser people, even if they lose weight at a psychotic pace, still wind up getting off their blood pressure medications and whatnot. It's WAAAAY worse to GAIN weight that rapidly.

Rapid weightloss can induce metabolic adaptation faster in a lot of people though...but that's why it's good to occasionally take a few days or a week where you eat a bit more (not necessarily a surplus, but maintenance).

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    This sounds like a comment from some one who is threatened or jealous of your success. I have met many people who make comments like this to "help" (hurt) so don't be suprised if you hear more or other comments in the future. If this is a good friend, I'd talk to her about it next time as calling her on it might open the communication for what's really going on.

thank for the responses! yeh she also schooled me all about weight watchers....said it was the ONLY way to live.......i disagreed but again just let it go lol

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalprincess7 View Post
    yeh she also schooled me all about weight watchers....said it was the ONLY way to live FOR HER
    fixored it for you. Do what works for you.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast