Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is like...the cheapest primal food there is? What is our Top-Ramen? page

What is like...the cheapest primal food there is? What is our Top-Ramen?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've had a few friends interested in the diet. None wanting to commit the money to do it properly. I'm thinking if I can get them hooked or started on it cheaply hopefully they would realize the benefits and start eating everything right.

That being said, I realize eating primal is unlikely to ever be as cheap as the SAD diet, but what is some super cheap primal type stuff to replace the uber cheap and "easy" meals such as top ramen, easy mac, etc? I've been doing this 7 months now and have lost over 60lbs but I've not had to think in such terms with what I've bought and ate...

I'm thinking Sardines, eggs, and salads (of course). Selling a diet on sardines is a tough row to hoe for most people, ha.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i buy steaks for $2.99/lb they are not prime cuts but i dont care its steak and they taste good. if you think about it a chicken sandwich at McDs is $6 which would you rather have?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    if someone isn't willing to spend money to eat right and be healthy all their life, their priorities are too screwed up to bother convincing.

Eggs and sweet potatoes.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    if someone isn't willing to spend money to eat right and be healthy all their life, their priorities are too screwed up to bother convincing.

Eggs and sweet potatoes.
    ditto...props to tfarny
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

belinda is offline Senior Member
    canned tuna or salmon
    lean roasts that can be cooked in a crockpot - these come on sale often: eye of round beef, pot roast, pork loin, pork shoulder
    hamburgers - eat without the bun hot or cold (nice diced into a salad)
    bacon, sometimes sausages
    liver
    eggs
    prewashed mixed greens for salads or romaine or spinach - whatever's on sale
    frozen vegetables - green beans, broccoli, cauliflower (not peas & corn)
    frozen mixed berries
    butter

Splurges: avocados, pork ribs, rotisserie chicken, coconut milk

I always check my grocery flyers and always check out the discounted meats and vegetables in my local grocery to see what is on sale that I might be able to use up quickly. I 'cost-average' For example, I love avocados, eating one a day, and a bag of 5 is $5. Yesterday, though, I got a bag of slightly overripe ones for $1.63. I'll eat the best ones in salad but the softest ones won't be thrown away, they'll go into smoothies. One day the same store was clearing out a brand of bacon they weren't going to carry any more for $1.49 a pound. I bought 5 pkgs.

I made a crockpot full of pork ribs today with a $7 slab of ribs and half a bottle of bbq sauce. Hubs and I ate well and there's enough left for a lunch tomorrow. Try seeing how much $7 will get you at your local rib shack.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

pdovers is offline Senior Member
    This is not going to answer your question. But I am of the opinion that "cheap" is not the way to go with food these days. It's just too risky. The food industry does not care that they are killing us. Read Food, Inc. It's an eye opener.

I look at good quality food as an investment. In order to be able to afford it I skimp on other things like I don't have cable TV. I have an old, paid for car. I take the train to work (yeah it takes longer) because my employer pays for my ticket thereby saving me all that gas money and wear and tear on my car. My health is the most important thing to me. If I don't have my health I have nothing.

Savannah is offline Member
    My grocery bill actually dropped when I went primal, but that might be because I had a bit of a fruit problem and 9 nectarines a day really add up (on the scales as well as the grocery bill ). That said, the freezer is now my best friend-- I just found 100% grass-fed ground beef for $3 off, so I bought several pounds which I froze into 4oz patties. It does take effort to look for the bargains, to plan ahead, to think outside the CW "I'll just have cereal" box, but for me it's worth it.

And honestly, if there was a pill that cost 80$ a month and could guaranteed weight lose, better muscle tone, increased energy, a more positive outlook on life, and zero negative side-effects, 99% of America would be running to the doctor begging for a prescription. Going primal will probably increase the average person's grocery bill by less than 80$, so maybe your friends are saying "too much money" but actually thinking "too much change!".

Thanks for the responses guys. I totally concur and agree with everything thats been stated about having quality food, heck I'm living proof of it. I try and explain things, but I just figured if I had a "cheap and easy" hook to get them interested it would help in being a step to fully committing and making the changes in their lives I have. BUT, I also know you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink

Tesen is offline Member
    Farmers markets, I just picked up bunch of veges that would have cost $25 in the store, I got for $6. Obviously when the season changes the farmers markets are not the option, but imagine if you put the money you save during farmers market seasons to the side, you should have saved a decent amount to help you out in the off-season.

Meat can be gotten on specials or save up to get half a grass fed cow or something from money saved at the farmers markets etc. There are lots of ways to save, the big thing I think most ppl have trouble with when starting PB is coming up with meal ideas. The SAD diet usually consists of the same old boring stuff, pasta, bread, bad stuff... yucky. Once you get that crap out of your body you can start teaching your taste buds what flavor is really like.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoat4130 View Post
    I've had a few friends interested in the diet. None wanting to commit the money to do it properly. I'm thinking if I can get them hooked or started on it cheaply hopefully they would realize the benefits and start eating everything right.

That being said, I realize eating primal is unlikely to ever be as cheap as the SAD diet, but what is some super cheap primal type stuff to replace the uber cheap and "easy" meals such as top ramen, easy mac, etc? I've been doing this 7 months now and have lost over 60lbs but I've not had to think in such terms with what I've bought and ate...

I'm thinking Sardines, eggs, and salads (of course). Selling a diet on sardines is a tough row to hoe for most people, ha.
    Organ meats. Fish trimmings. Lots of the stuff that most people throw away are where most of the nutrients are.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast