Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body by Science page

scottbushey is offline Member

Body by Science

Primal Fuel
    Body By Science Training Video 2 Todd Beard - YouTube

I may give this a go......

Anyone else familiar with this technique?

bcbcbc2 is online now Senior Member
    yes
    do it as prescribed and it will give you all the health benefits of strength training
    for a small investment of time

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Scott,

Mark Sisson works out with Doug from time-to-time. While super-slow techniques may not be really "fun" compared to tossing rocks, it's supposedly a good thing to do every now and then. Mark even posted a WOW recently based on Doug's workouts.

As long as you are lifting heavy things, it's fine to do.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottbushey View Post
    Body By Science Training Video 2 Todd Beard - YouTube

I may give this a go......

Anyone else familiar with this technique?
    Look up hight intensity training (HIT). Depending on where in Florida you're at, you can go visit Drew Baye:

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Give it a try. Make note of how that guy breathes. It can be very brutal. Pay attention to the rest needed. And you should be on hands and knees just like the big guy in the video. Many of us that have tried it drop it to a Big 3.
    Last edited by pyro13g; 08-14-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    There are a lot of threads on this. People tend to feel very strongly for or against it. My personal opinion is that while it is certainly better than nothing, I do not view it as ideal. My single biggest objection is to using machines instead of free weights. Some people have adapted the principles to body-weight or free weights, which I think is a dramatic improvement.

gorski is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    There are a lot of threads on this. People tend to feel very strongly for or against it. My personal opinion is that while it is certainly better than nothing, I do not view it as ideal. My single biggest objection is to using machines instead of free weights. Some people have adapted the principles to body-weight or free weights, which I think is a dramatic improvement.
    The reason Machines are used is to minimise injury once you reach muscle failure because you are lifting such a heavy weight. If you were doing a deadlift or bench press with freeweights and you didnt have a spotter, what would happen once you reached failure half way up your rep, you would injure yourself as you wouldnt be able to hold it.

Ive been using this HIT technique for about 1/2 a year (using machines/Cable ones for some exercises which allow better movement), Ive had better results with this than I have had with any other workout technique I have tried in the past 5 years, I was always frustrated with my gains untill I tried HIT.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorski View Post
    The reason Machines are used is to minimise injury once you reach muscle failure because you are lifting such a heavy weight. If you were doing a deadlift or bench press with freeweights and you didnt have a spotter, what would happen once you reached failure half way up your rep, you would injure yourself as you wouldnt be able to hold it.

Ive been using this HIT technique for about 1/2 a year (using machines/Cable ones for some exercises which allow better movement), Ive had better results with this than I have had with any other workout technique I have tried in the past 5 years, I was always frustrated with my gains untill I tried HIT.
    How do hurt yourself failing on deadlift? You just drop the weight. I've done it more times than I can count, working with up to 500+ lbs, and never hurt myself.

If you are benching with correct equipment(a power rack), you cannot drop it on your chest.

At the load for BBS, you can just rest the weight on you chest and incline one end up then the other to deload the bar, it's not like it's a 1RM(if you don't have a rack).

You can also substitute (Overhead) press for bench press, it's a better lift anyway.

What were your previous programs?

primal bill-e is offline Member
    I read the BBS book, and while I am not doing this routine, I have incorporated some of the practices and they are really working---for ME. But, I am 57 and out of shape. I was not progressing with free weights on a 3/week, or even 2/week plan. I would find myself unable to do what I had done the week before. I would have to deload and work back up to where I had been. My body simply requires more recovery time. I do NOT do the Super Slow type reps. I don't jerk around, but press steady up and down until the final set, where it gets really slow of it's own accord.
    What I have incorporated:
    One strength training workout per week. I do kettlebells also, but that is mainly for lower body and does not require so much recovery. Weight machines for "Big 4". I do three sets, the last one to failure. Overhead press, lat pull-down, chest press, rows. I use machines because my apartment has them in the gym, and it's free and handy. Also, I am less likely to hurt myself working out by myself. And, I am making progress. I can do more reps or heavier weight every single week. And even better, I can see visible increases in my arms, shoulders, back, and chest.
    If you are young and full of T and HGH, or whatever, you might go bigger, stronger, faster on some other program. If I was younger with a coach or trainer, I would do Starting Strength. But for me, once a week---HARD, seems to be working well.

srch1 is offline Member
    I watched a you tube video by the author and one by what I'm guessing was his wife. They seemed super smart but didn't really appear super fit. I see pictures of Mark and I get inspired to go more primal. Do these guys rip their shirts off somewhere to reveal super hero bods?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast