Thread: Dairy page

amy76 is offline Junior Member

Dairy

Shop Now
    Can someone clear up the issue of Dairy for me? I would like to know if it's OK to use dairy when trying to loose fat? Are we allowed to eat plain high fat yogurt (I like to add to protein shakes) and high fat cheese? Thanks!

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    If you don't have an intolerance to dairy, then go right ahead.
    Calcium and dairy are both beneficial for fat loss.

Velociraptor is offline Junior Member
    I am glad you asked this, I have been wondering that as well since joining the boards. Milk and nuts were both confusing me haha

milkycereal is offline Senior Member
    Its just really easy to overdo it with dairy and nuts because they're highly palatble and contain alot of calories. I can eat a jar of macadamia nuts like its nothing, anyone can. Thats like 8$ down the drain and 1400 calories in my gut

I'd by the nuts shelled and try and crack em without a nutcracker. Slows you down considerably. If you don't have a rock around half the time I just say "fuck it" and put the nut back haha.

Also just be careful I found dairy spikes my insulin like a mofo, and not that that's bad but it'll make you real hunger after

I eat dairy with my dinner as part of the meal, or as a small desert after dinner

maurile is offline Senior Member
    There are both reasonable and stupid arguments against dairy.

The stupid arguments against dairy: Have you ever tried to milk a wild animal? Cows' milk is made for baby cows, not adult humans. Grok didn't drink milk, therefore it must be harmful.

Refutations: I haven't personally tried to milk a wild animal, but I've seen YouTube clips of others doing it. Beef liver isn't made for humans, so I guess we shouldn't eat that, either? Why wouldn't eating nose-to-tail include the mammaries? We don't know when our ancestors started drinking the milk of other [domesticated or wild] mammals, but the idea that we shouldn't eat anything that wasn't available during the paleolithic era is impractical. Chickens didn't exist during the paleolithic era, either. Neither did most of our other common meats, fruits, or vegetables. In any case, it's not like an evolved adaptation to thriving on milk would be as slow-going as an adaptation to thriving on grains. Human infants have always thrived on milk; it's only a slight evolutionary adjustment to carry lactase into adulthood.

The reasonable arguments against dairy: We don't know exactly when our adult ancestors started consuming dairy, but it likely wasn't much more than 10,000 years ago, so dairy is therefore suspect, and warrants further investigation. Such investigation reveals that conventional, pasteurized dairy is associated with an increased risk of several types of cancer, certain autoimmune disorders, and perhaps other problems. Therefore, conventional, pasteurized dairy appears to be something most people should avoid under most circumstances. Several cultures have thrived on a diet prominently featuring raw, grass-fed dairy; but raw, grass-fed dairy has not been extensively studied in modern clinical trials. Therefore, the jury is still out on it, even for people who tolerate lactose well. If you want to play it safe, avoid even raw dairy until it is vindicated in clinical trials.

Docter is offline Member
    Personally, dairy makes me break out with Acne, have a disgusting congestion constantly in my throat, and shit like there's no tomorrow.

But that's me. Try abstaining from dairy for a couple of weeks and note the effects. Feel any better? Feel worse? Feel indifferent? To my knowledge, there's no better way to figure out how it effects your body than a little self-experimentation.

On a side-note, I actually have been eating butter recently, as it is mostly Fat. It doesn't seem to trigger an auto-immune response from me. I was also reading about unprocessed varieties of milk being way easier on human digestive tracts. I wish I remembered where that article was lol.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Dairy is one of those things that is very individual, it seems. From my own experience I can still lose when I eat dairy in moderation (cream in my coffee every morning and blue cheese in my salad). But... over the last two months I could not stop eating cheese and I did gain a couple of lbs. back... no big deal, but it can be easy to eat too much of it. I can definitely eat a lot more dairy eating this way than I could eating the CW way. Combining cheese and grains is a bad combination!!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I include dairy in my meals, but only in the form of cheese or greek yogurt. As much as I love milk, I found myself drinking glass after glass after glass of it, and my weight started going up. With cheese and greek yogurt, I don't have that problem.

I'm with Docter - it's a very individual thing. Try excluding/including it and see what happens. Just try to keep the experimenting down to one thing at a time, otherwise you have no clue what's really causing things because there can be a delay.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I'm one of those that can handle dairy. I use some full-fat Greek yogurt as a base for my salad-dressings, and I use some cream on my berries occasionally. I also nibble on a tiny bit of cheese with slices of apple if I'm hungry before bedtime. But I wouldn't overdo it!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am trying dairy-free for a couple of months, to see if it has any impacts - like clearing up the slight stuffiness/runny nose that is not cold-related, or some other minor inflamations. If nothing like this happens, I will thaw my kefir grains, and continue to have kefir and quark. I use a bit of coconut milk instead in different dishes (like mushed cauliflower or with my berries or smoothies), but I think it might be detremental to fat loss, because it has more calories for volume than dairy. I try to dilute cocnut milk with water, but when we had guests over, I made cocnut cream, and I am pretty sure I over-induldged.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.