Thread: Help! Whole Salmon! page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Help! Whole Salmon!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi folks, anyone got a recipe for cooking a whole salmon in an oven? I got one with head and tail, it is slightly over 2 lbs (1 kg).

The recipe will be HUGELY appreciated!!!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

otzi Guest
    Here's what I did yesterday: Take whole salmon, scrape off the scales under running water with a sharp knife. Salmon don't have big scales, and eating them is OK, I just like to get off as many as I can. Stuff salmon with lemon slices. Put salmon on baking sheet covered with tinfoil. Bake for 15 min at 400 or 450, then flip. Bake for 15 more min. Now, remove tin foil and turn on broiler--cook a few minutes until skin in crispy. Take out of oven. Remove skin and meat from side that just got crispy, flip salmon over and crisp up the bottomside. Remove--eat skin and meat. You can season the meat however you like at this point but it won't need a lot. The crispy skin is awesome! Don't overcook. You'll know it's just right when you remove the first half of the salmon and it's just barely cooked at the backbone.

Thank you! That's exactly along the lines of what I was looking for. I think, I butter it a little too, and throw inside some parsley and sage, since they look so good on the row.

Thank you again! On to cook it!

It turned out great! I have to thank my 5 yo dd for the whole cooking experience! Ever since she saw someone buying a whole fish in the store in the winter she anted the whole fish!

I just put a few slices of butter inside with lemon and a bunch of parsley, tied it up with silicon ties, and we baked it 18 min on each side, and finished up under broiler for 5 min. We jut flipped it over, and served whole, head and all! It was actually more like 3.5 lbs fish (1.6 kg), and with 4 adults and 3 kids, there was pretty much nothing left. Yum.

The kids added to primal enjoyement arguing about who is going to eat the head and the eyes, and totally grossed out our poor friend, he took the fish head from them, after they were dissecting it for a while and my 5 yo brought over the cheek bone yelping excitedly it was fish tongue.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    You can cook whole salmon in the dishwasher! Seriously, check out the method ...

As for prep ... simple as possible. Clean the fish up, gut it and stuff the cavity with lemon and fragrant herbs. Done.