Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I be sure I'm primal? And other Q's. page

MaLink is offline Member

How can I be sure I'm primal? And other Q's.

Primal Fuel
    I started the Primal challenge four days ago and so far I've been losing a pound a day! While I'm excited about that, I have a few questions.

1. My eating habits are completely changed. I stop eating when I'm satisfied but I get hungry a few hours later. My diet so far has had things like various vegetables, salad, chicken, bacon, beef, greek yogurt and cottage cheese in that order of amount from the most to the least. How do I know if i need to eat more protein or less dairy or fat? Or visa versa? I'd also like to not have to eat so often but getting hunger pains so often is an unusual experience for me. Do carbs satisfy longer?

2. I have about 135 pounds to lose and I was wondering, if I continue to lose weight this quickly will I have more loose skin at the end? Or does it even out to a couple pounds a week like other diets?

3. Is soy not primal? I love tofu and soymilk...

4. I don't have an unlimited budget or the space to take in lots of foods and whole cuts of beef at a time. I have a quarter of a fridge available and I seem to have to shop for food almost every day just to have something to eat. I can't seem to find simpler primal recipes with just a few ingredients (other than salads). Are there any tips for someone like me? So far I've been making one recipe at a time and just eating it multiple meals in a row because I don't have space for more ingredients than that. :/ I don't want food boredom.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    1. Mark lays out the basic % of macros in the WOE (fat - protein-carbs) in the book and some blog posts. I am about to head to work but I am sure someone can link those numbers for you. They are the baseline and you may have to adjust them to fit your own needs. Many women here, for example, seem to do better on more carbs. (More carbs being not low carb. I don't mean they do better eating 2 pounds of wheat a day )

When I stared I ate 3 times a day with a small snack if I was hungry. Now I eat twice a day. It is all about the body adjusting. Some here eat once a day, some twice, there are a few who eat several small meals. It is a matter of finding what works. I would advise against long fasts at the beginning. Eat when hungry, stop when satisfied until your body adjusts.

No, in my experience, fat satisfies longer. If you are hungry often try eating more fat at meals for a day or two to see if it helps.

As for dairy, some people limit is as it stalls their weight loss. I have some half&half in my coffee and some greek yogurt and lose weight. If you see your weight loss stall out, cut back on your dairy a bit and see if it changes (a lot of this WOE is seeing what works best for you).

2. In my experience the weight loss slows down. I lost 20 pounds very quickly. Now I lose about 2 pounds a week. Slow and steady and less stretched out skin. Also I am eating food I like and am not hungry all the time. Woot woot.

3. Soy is...eh, crap? LOL sorry my prejudices. I think the last I read is that it is not optimal but fermented soy is okay in moderation as is edame etc. It is the processed crap (tofu, soymilk..sorry) that is not good.

4. I shop daily, mainly because I like to shop for food. When I need something simple I go with...yummy meat, couple of veggies = meal.
    Crock pots are great for making a week's worth of lunches. Make some pulled pork and spice it differently each day.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

MaLink is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    1. Mark lays out the basic % of macros in the WOE (fat - protein-carbs) in the book and some blog posts. I am about to head to work but I am sure someone can link those numbers for you. They are the baseline and you may have to adjust them to fit your own needs. Many women here, for example, seem to do better on more carbs. (More carbs being not low carb. I don't mean they do better eating 2 pounds of wheat a day )

When I stared I ate 3 times a day with a small snack if I was hungry. Now I eat twice a day. It is all about the body adjusting. Some here eat once a day, some twice, there are a few who eat several small meals. It is a matter of finding what works. I would advise against long fasts at the beginning. Eat when hungry, stop when satisfied until your body adjusts.

No, in my experience, fat satisfies longer. If you are hungry often try eating more fat at meals for a day or two to see if it helps.

As for dairy, some people limit is as it stalls their weight loss. I have some half&half in my coffee and some greek yogurt and lose weight. If you see your weight loss stall out, cut back on your dairy a bit and see if it changes (a lot of this WOE is seeing what works best for you).

2. In my experience the weight loss slows down. I lost 20 pounds very quickly. Now I lose about 2 pounds a week. Slow and steady and less stretched out skin. Also I am eating food I like and am not hungry all the time. Woot woot.

3. Soy is...eh, crap? LOL sorry my prejudices. I think the last I read is that it is not optimal but fermented soy is okay in moderation as is edame etc. It is the processed crap (tofu, soymilk..sorry) that is not good.

4. I shop daily, mainly because I like to shop for food. When I need something simple I go with...yummy meat, couple of veggies = meal.
    Crock pots are great for making a week's worth of lunches. Make some pulled pork and spice it differently each day.
    Thanks for the replies! They helped me out a lot! I'm a little sad about the soymilk but maybe it can be my sensible vice or what I do on my cheat days. I'll try the crock pot of pulled pork soon, that sounds delicious!
    Doing the Primal 30 Day Challenge since August 8th, 2011!

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLink View Post
    Thanks for the replies! They helped me out a lot! I'm a little sad about the soymilk but maybe it can be my sensible vice or what I do on my cheat days. I'll try the crock pot of pulled pork soon, that sounds delicious!
    Check out the recipes section of the forum and look around for some paleo/primal cooking blogs. You would be amazed at the great recipes you can find.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

MaLink is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Check out the recipes section of the forum and look around for some paleo/primal cooking blogs. You would be amazed at the great recipes you can find.
    I'll do that right now. D:

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Soy is not a sensible vice. Sorry ;(

And, if you want to succeed, you need to get the thought of 'cheat days' out of your head. Nobody is perfect, and Mark himself says "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" but if you save the 'cheats' for things that are out of your control for the most part - like a couple of grams of sugar in your favourite BBQ sauce, or having a piece of cake at your grandmother's 80th birthday, you'll be a lot more successful than if you say "Ok, Sunday is my cheat day I'm going to have a deep dish pizza!"

A couple of suggestions: since you like soy milk, perhaps you could try Almond Breeze or the So Delicious cartons of coconut milk (not the same as canned coconut milk) instead. Try as well, to have some protein and fat at every meal. If you do need a snack don't worry but keep it primal: an apple with some almond butter, pork rinds, a "small" handful of nuts, a chunk of creamed coconut or a square of dark chocolate.

I'm down nearly 37 lbs and was concerned about loose skin too. While the boobs aren't up where they were and my remaining fat is a bit 'squishier' (common apparently) I don't have much in the way of loose skin. It seems to have shrunk back but I've been losing at a rate of 1-1.5 lbs a week.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Soy is just terrible for you. Sorry. If you miss soy milk maybe try some unsweetened almond milk. If you're worried about calories, it's very low, but it's high in omega 6 which isn't all that great, but in my opinion, it's still better than soy milk. Also, try coconut milk, which is delicious, but high in calories. I use almond milk in my coffee because I used to be a skim milk in coffee person so the viscosity is similar otherwise I use coconut milk for cooking.
    I don't know what to tell you about the tofu except to use chicken in place of it.

And what's this non-sense about cheat days??? There's no need to "cheat" when there's bacon!!!
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

MaLink is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Soy is not a sensible vice. Sorry ;(

And, if you want to succeed, you need to get the thought of 'cheat days' out of your head. Nobody is perfect, and Mark himself says "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" but if you save the 'cheats' for things that are out of your control for the most part - like a couple of grams of sugar in your favourite BBQ sauce, or having a piece of cake at your grandmother's 80th birthday, you'll be a lot more successful than if you say "Ok, Sunday is my cheat day I'm going to have a deep dish pizza!"

A couple of suggestions: since you like soy milk, perhaps you could try Almond Breeze or the So Delicious cartons of coconut milk (not the same as canned coconut milk) instead. Try as well, to have some protein and fat at every meal. If you do need a snack don't worry but keep it primal: an apple with some almond butter, pork rinds, a "small" handful of nuts, a chunk of creamed coconut or a square of dark chocolate.

I'm down nearly 37 lbs and was concerned about loose skin too. While the boobs aren't up where they were and my remaining fat is a bit 'squishier' (common apparently) I don't have much in the way of loose skin. It seems to have shrunk back but I've been losing at a rate of 1-1.5 lbs a week.
    I guess it's no more soymilk then. The tofu is easier to get rid of, honestly. The main reason I liked soymilk was because it felt filling at the same time as being delicious to me. If it comes right down to it I can live without it though. And I'll go grab some almond butter today, I think my store has a grinder that makes it fresh.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Great answers!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

MaLink is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss View Post
    Soy is just terrible for you. Sorry. If you miss soy milk maybe try some unsweetened almond milk. If you're worried about calories, it's very low, but it's high in omega 6 which isn't all that great, but in my opinion, it's still better than soy milk. Also, try coconut milk, which is delicious, but high in calories. I use almond milk in my coffee because I used to be a skim milk in coffee person so the viscosity is similar otherwise I use coconut milk for cooking.
    I don't know what to tell you about the tofu except to use chicken in place of it.

And what's this non-sense about cheat days??? There's no need to "cheat" when there's bacon!!!
    I love bacon but it's a messy thing to cook. :P lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast