Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pilates IS Primal!! page

theodora is offline Junior Member

Talking Pilates IS Primal!!

Shop Now
    This post is just a reminder that Pilates mat exercises are the ideal complimentary exercises to any primal workout. Jo Pilates even reminds me of Mark in many aspects like their physique, dedication, knowledge, and motivation! If you see pictures of Jo, you'll probably see him in his boxer shorts without a shirt and barefoot, training outdoors..He later developed the equipment (reformers, chairs, cadillac etc) so that people with injuries could train laying down in order to get better..

Joseph Pilates, Life and Biography

I can attest that anyone who takes up Pilates (and knows the basics of working out) will reach their ideal body shape (defined upper body, 6-pack abs, strong defined legs). I have been working as an instructor for the past 10 years and I have seen incredible things, and thats why I am so passionate about it. Especially when combined with the Primal way of eating and lifestyle.

As a starting point, and as an addition/alternative to Mark's exercise suggestions, I would suggest these exercises from the Pilates mat repertoire for someone following the primal nutrition way who wants a 6-pack:

Hundred
    Roll Up (x 8-10)
    Double Straight Leg Stretch (x 8-10)
    Criss Cross (x 10-12)
    Teaser (x4, 3 sets)
    Pilates Push Up (x4, 3 sets)

Im pretty sure you can find the directions to these in any Pilates book..For any questions/tips I'd be happy to help!

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    I love pilates and yoga.. Definately helps keep my supple enough for horseriding! =D
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yoga is way better! yoga is way better! it's lower in carbs! LOL

btw, welcome to the boards. I teach yoga, and have been since forever (1994/5) -- the way back when. so, you know how it is.

Yoga is way better! :P

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    I have to admit, I'm a little fuzzy on the diffrence between pilates and yoga! All I know is they both help with suppleness and core stability and they're both calming and relaxing and I like them! XD
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

LOL @zoebird! Of course I have to say now that PILATES IS BETTER!! good to meet you, Ive only done a bit of aerial yoga and some headstands, other than that I definitely prefer Pilates! Jo Pilates studied yoga while developing his exercise repertoire, and modified some yoga poses in order to make them safer and more effective..

PixieKitten: I love how you love Pilates (and yoga), but they're as different as night and day!!

Animord is offline Member
    Hi Theodora. I have just started doing a Pilates class and I love it but there is a lot to remember and I find that when I go to do it at home I forget what we did in class if you know what I mean! Are there any youtube videos that you would recomend for a beginner just to do the basics at home?

Hi Animord! Great to hear you've started Pilates!
    I would suggest you pay real close attention to at least 2 mat abs exercises while u do them in class (also focus on where it hurts!)..And then repeat them immediately after u return home, and perform them daily..Its better to master 1 or 2 exercises and then add more, than knowing a bunch of exercises but not master them.
    For example, if you know how to perform the Hundred or the Roll Up perfect, u have the basis of learning way easier the rest of the exercises.
    So I would suggest a Pilates book (Alycea Ungaro's "Pilates Body in Motion" is awesome in my opinion) so u have all the tips there whenever u forget them, rather than watch someone perform the exercises..Pilates is not about copying someone else's pose, but about focusing on our own body and what it can do..
    But if I had to suggest a youtube video it would be by Erin Huggins (I havent watched them all but a couple are real good), cause she is really close to how I teach..
    I hope this helps!

Animord is offline Member
    Excellent, thanks very much. That's a great idea to break out just two and remember them. I will have a look at both the book and the Erin Huggins stuff. Actually this week in class I did focus on me rather than just watching and copying the teacher - I closed my eyes and listened to both her and my muscles and I think I learnt way more. At least my muscles are telling me this morning that they worked way harder this week!

Thanks very much again.

PS I lurrrrvvvve Pilates! So much fun!

Anytime!

PS: Your PS totally made my day!!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I have been permanently turned off pilates because what the average gym calls "pilates class" is 30 minutes of sit-ups and crunches... WTF?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast