Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regular groceries on your grocery list page

innadoom is offline Member

Regular groceries on your grocery list

Shop Now
    Just curious what people here buy at the grocery store on a regular basis. Most of my shopping trips consist of ground beef, eggs and coconut milk. Coconut oil, olive oil, chocolate powder (), and basic veggies as needed. Indulge in other stuff but not on a consistent basis. Oh, and coffee.. are people here simple and consistent or do you eat a big variety of foods? I'm pretty sure the clerks at the grocery store know me as the "meat and eggs" lady.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    I almost always buy another jar of olives. They are my snack food. Sometimes stuffed with feta cheese, other times with almonds, other times with garlic. The checkout people are also starting to recognize me as the guy who buys lots of veggies, even though they are different every time.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    We have three adults and the occasional teenager in our house, and we shop about every ten days. A typical shopping trip takes us to three different stores, and we come home with:

12 pounds ground beef
    6 pounds stew beef
    10 pounds chicken thighs
    4 large summer sausages
    Several pounds of different hard cheeses
    4 dozen eggs
    5 pounds of bacon
    A large container of sour cream
    10 pounds of yellow or vidalia onions
    2 pounds of mushrooms
    6-8 jars of julienned sun-dried tomatoes
    8 cans of diced tomatoes (yes, we use them because we don't use tomatoes often)
    8 cans of black olives
    8 cans of mushrooms
    2 cans of Trader Joe's coffee
    Fruit, in season and not much of it (right now, it's plums)
    A small amount of dark chocolate from Trader Joe's
    Salad fixings (lettuce, celery, green onions)
    Canned tuna fish
    Nuts: macadamia, pistachio-in-the-shell, walnuts, pine nuts, almonds

We order our coconut oil online (nobody around here really sells it). We have different cooking wines and spices on hand, and we refill/replenish as needed. I buy most of my supplements online as well.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure that most people seeing my basket at the grocery store assume that I'm a vegetarian. I buy all my meat and eggs from local farmers and a lot of my produce too--probably 80% of my groceries--so my basket tends to contain bananas and avocadoes (not available as local produce); spices and herbs; coconut milk and oil; and sometimes raw milk cheese (usually feta or parmesan). Oh, and lime juice and club soda for NorCal margaritas.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

gojirama is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm the only primal in my family, and half the time my husband shops (has to make sure they all get their flour and cereal). I think we look like your typical "real food on the cheap" family- the sale chicken and meats, lots of eggs, lots of veggies (bags and bags every week) some canned tomatoes,dark chocolate, coffee, sometimes nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, almond or other nut butters. Plenty of fruit, a must with two adolescents and a 9 year old. Non grocery of course- soap, TP laundry and dish soap, shampoo and conditioner. Things like posh olives, bacon or posh cuts of meat , etc are rare treats.
    I love lots of broccoli, garlic, onions, spinach, romaine, carrots, fennel, peppers...you name it.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Depends where I go.

Trader Joe's - Two Buck Chuck wine, cheese and nuts. Maybe some dairy.
    Regular store with housemate - We go up and down all the aisles. She buys bread, peanut butter, mayo, frozen dinners, etc. We buy veg, corn tortillas, eggs, dairy, tuna, frozen potatoes, etc.
    Whole Foods - i buy meat, veg, nuts, supplements, herbs & spices, coffee, chocolate, coconut milk and oil, canned sardines and oysters, eggs, dairy, etc.
    Co-op - i buy meat, Eden Foods beans, etc.

Yeah, yeah, I'm not one of those people who think everything on the inside aisles is toxic crap.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Frozen strawberries
    frozen fish, sometimes shrimp, depending what's on sale
    frozen veggies
    eggs
    butter
    organic lactose free milk - for in my coffee
    onions
    sweet potatoes
    tomatoes
    zucchini
    sour cream
    pesto (my favorite condiment)
    lettuce
    olive oil
    peppers
    sometimes asparagus and cabbage

Most of my meat and cheese comes from the farmers market but if there's something interesting, ground bison or lamb chops, I'll buy them at the supermarket. I started buying eggs at the farmers market as well but don't always and veggies sometimes at the market but I don't always plan well. I'm going to stock up tomorrow though. Especially looking forward to the heirloom tomatoes.
    Last edited by Blackcatbone; 08-12-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: forgot stuff

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I enter the grocery store and immediately rip at least 8 produce bags off the roll. Oddball action #1. Then I fill them with an assortment of fresh veggies and some fruit (the stuff I haven't been able to buy at the farmer's market - short growing season in central Canada). Then a few bagels and some hamburger buns for the non-primal family members, but no other breads. Check out the chicken on sale items and the marked down bin for meat/chix deals. Buy frozen bags of shrimp, calamari and filleted fish. A block of cheddar and milk, some yogurt cups for lunches. Frozen juice for the gang (about half of what I used to buy.) One bag of chips per week for the guys as a treat - when it's gone, it's gone. Non-food necessities, often an item or two for the food bank bin by the door.

Outside of the grocery store, I have beef by the quarter in my freezer, weekly bacon and pork products from the farmer's market, custom roasted coffee from my friend's home business, local fresh and smoked fish. Veggies from my garden when available - it's cherry tomatoes and cucumbers right now, green beans soon, and it's almost time to dig up my garlic harvest.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    I enter the grocery store and immediately rip at least 8 produce bags off the roll. Oddball action #1.
    Nothing wrong with that, I do the same thing.

Ground beef
    Chicken breast, thighs, whatever is a good price
    Roasts of varying animal and cut (pork shoulder, beef round, etc.)
    Eggs
    Chicken livers
    Other meats (bacon, sausage, lamb, turkey, etc.) if price is good
    Veggies -- kale (my #1 greens choice), lettuce varieties, (sweet) potatoes, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, celery, other sale items (if squash, cauliflower or something is on sale I'll get it)
    Fruit -- usually in season stuff... I loaded up on berries in June/July and froze, so I have little fruit need currently; limes and lemons for cooking
    Canned -- black olives, coconut milk (though I've not used it in a long time), sardines, chicken breast and tuna (for disaster supplies)
    Frozen -- veggies when they're on sale
    Occasional -- dark chocolate, nut butter, shredded or flaked coconut, cocoa powder, spices to replenish what's nearly empty
    Dairy (infrequent) -- cheese (Parmesan rinds as a snack, Kerrygold Dubliner), butter (Kerrygold or Plugra), heavy cream
    Other -- GT's Kombucha, olive oil (extra virgin), coconut water (for post-basketball rehydration, and only when on sale)

That's all I can think of for right now. I get my coconut oil online through either Nutiva or Tropical Traditions, and coconut cream concentrate via the latter.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

kiss is offline Senior Member
    I'm so jealous of all of you with Trader Joe's. There are none in Florida. I wish I could franchise one, it would make a mint here. The Whole Foods nearest to me is packed like it's the day before Thanksgiving regardless of actual time or day. I have other issues with it as well so I only go there if I'm desperate. Otherwise, it's Publix and Winn Dixie. I usually only get the usual meat, veg, and random canned goods/coffee. I'm looking online for grass fed meat, but I can only place small orders since my apartment fridge/freezer is small.

For several months out of the year, there's a small organic farmer's market just down the way from where I live that I can walk to, but it's closed all summer and some of the fall. I've visited some other "farmer's" markets in my area recently and most of them were flea markets that happened to have some 2nd rate produce.

Winter is a great time in Florida for locally grown vegetables and fruits. Summertime, not so much. Although, right now you can walk down the street and pick up coconuts to your heart's content since a lot of people cut them off the trees and leave them sitting on the ground until they are gathered up during hurricane season. Also, giant avocados and mangos are pretty easy to come by.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast