Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Milk for Toddler? page

*Summer* is offline Junior Member

Milk for Toddler?

What milk would be ideal for my 22 month old? I am currently giving him organic whole milk. In a day he gets 16oz milk, and about 4-6oz of kefir milk. I considered switching him to coconut milk, but brands like Silk has a lot of additives in them. Is it ok for his health to continue giving him the organic whole milk? I have been recommended raw milk, but we do not have access to it at this time.

canio6 Guest
    Breast milk.

I am breastfeeding my 3 month old, but not my 22 month old.
    Last edited by *Summer*; 08-12-2011 at 09:56 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    if you wish, you can tandem nurse or pump your breast and feed that to your older child. It is a viable option.

my son is nearly 3, and he still nurses once a day, and thus gets the many benefits of breast milk. but, it's a personal choice, and most people here in NZ have finished by age 2 in my experience.

he drinks water, tea, and home-made digestives (like ginger ale) on occasion. he does have raw, full-fat yogurt 1-2 times a day (probably a max of 6 oz). the rest of his nutrition is fruit, veggies, meat, nuts. And then he nurses once a day. On occasion, we carb load him with rice or quinoa -- if he asks for it.

Thanks for the responses. I think I will just continue to give him the organic cows milk for now as long as things are going well. He is almost two and that is when most people quite nursing anyways. I do kefir it so he gets lots of great bacteria back as well. He had surgery on his esophogous when he was born, so he is unable to eat foods right now without them being pureed, and it is hard to get enough solids into him everyday. So he still needs some nutrition from milk. I think it would be kind of akward to breastfeed him now since he is almost 2, and we stopped a long time ago, and I don't have a pump. I didn't know what I know now when I stopped breastfeeding him, but I do plan to nurse my baby girl until she is 2.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    There's no nutrition in milk that he can't get elsewhere. Although I eat cheese etc. I'm fully aware that humans aren't meant to consume the milk of other creatures But if you're going to give him milk, make sure it's full-fat. Also, if he's not tolerating it well, goat's milk is easier to digest

I know most toddlers don't need millk because they get enough nutrition from eating real foods. My older children didn't drink milk...they ate real food. The problem for us is getting him to eat enough foods though. He has to have everything pureed right now because he had surgery on his esophogus, and it is so narrow now that food gets stuck in it and he chokes...even tiny pieces. It is hard to get him to eat enough pureed food, and he is already very skinny. There is no way I could get him to eat enough pureed food to keep him healthy.

I guess I shouldn't have bothered asking this question here because I know how a lot of people feel. It is just we have no choice in his situation, and need to find the healthiest alternative.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    If you're looking for a healthy alternative, use coconut milk, it will provide a lot more benefits to his small frame then milk will But use canned, not Silk, Silk is crap The coconut milk can be pureed with his meats/veggies/fruits or drank as is. You can also add the benefits of coconut oil (MCT oil) buy buying MCT oil straight at a health food store. It stays liquid at room temp so it would be easy to add to his foods. You need to increase his amount of MCT oil gradually though Avocados blend well with anything and pack a great nutritional punch. If he's having a problem with the thicker textures, use high quality ingredients and thin them with coconut milk or even water.

Good luck, and this isn't the wrong place to ask. Like I said, I know I don't need dairy but I like it I also know there are many other alternatives that offer better nutrition Hopefully one of my suggestions helps

ETA...if you can invest in a high quality blender like a vitamix or blendtec (even used is great), you would probably notice a difference in the textures and acceptability of the foods with your son.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I guess I shouldn't have bothered asking this question here because I know how a lot of people feel. It is just we have no choice in his situation, and need to find the healthiest alternative.
    (((Hugs))) This is a good place to ask your question--it's just difficult to give a good answer when you don't share all the relevant information (like his esophagus surgery) in your first post.

I agree with bionicsamm on the coconut milk and goats milk would definitely be a good alternative (goat's milk protein is closer in composition to that of breastmilk.)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicsamm View Post
    If you're looking for a healthy alternative, use coconut milk, it will provide a lot more benefits to his small frame then milk will But use canned, not Silk, Silk is crap The coconut milk can be pureed with his meats/veggies/fruits or drank as is. You can also add the benefits of coconut oil (MCT oil) buy buying MCT oil straight at a health food store. It stays liquid at room temp so it would be easy to add to his foods. You need to increase his amount of MCT oil gradually though Avocados blend well with anything and pack a great nutritional punch. If he's having a problem with the thicker textures, use high quality ingredients and thin them with coconut milk or even water.

Good luck, and this isn't the wrong place to ask. Like I said, I know I don't need dairy but I like it I also know there are many other alternatives that offer better nutrition Hopefully one of my suggestions helps

ETA...if you can invest in a high quality blender like a vitamix or blendtec (even used is great), you would probably notice a difference in the textures and acceptability of the foods with your son.
    Thanks for your response...it is helpful. We have been giving him avacodo for several months, and we use coconut oil to cook his over easy egg everyday. Should I dilute the coconut milk in the can, or give him it full strength? If I don't dilute it he would probably drink 1 can a day...but if I dilute it, it will probably last for two days. I actually had a vitamix and sold it...I don't know what I was thinking. I have been using my Ninja...and it works pretty good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast