Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strengthening the forearm and wrist? page

Nion is offline Senior Member

Strengthening the forearm and wrist?

Primal Fuel
    So, i'm building up a lot of strength, but my wrists are still lagging behind! I had Rickets as a kid and since then my wrists have always been a bit disproportionately weak. I'm also double jointed and have to be really careful that things don't 'pop' out

Anyway, is there anything i can do to strengthen them? I'm already doing girlie push ups (working my way up) and some weight training, and planks are helping.
    I'm working on 25lb barbels, i can lift them every which way except curls, because my wrist wobbles like mad!

Heeelp. I don't have access to other weights, so cheap ideas are appreciated. Money is tight.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    Pretty much everything you do upper body wise is going to help. The wrists and forearms only contain small muscles, so growth and strength gains might take longer than a larger muscle like the shoulders or chest. Still, push ups (maybe go to knuckles or fingertips to involve the wrist more) pull ups or reverse pull ups, deadlifts, etc... are all going to work those muscles.

Back in the day when I was lifting all the time I would do some specific isolation exercises for the wrist and forearm. I've come to the conclusion now that those are pretty useless if you're doing other exercises.

olebaldie is offline Junior Member
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Ok, i'll try some more upper bodyweight stuff, and i'll take a look at those links. Thanks guys!

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    Sounds weird but maybe it's not...

I have a club that I swing- both hands, over head, like pounding fence posts. I started out with a heavy hammer at work, just playing around. One of the things I noticed that was my forearms got one hell of a workout! I was totally expecting back, shoulders and such to be sore, but not my forearms. I suppose it could have to do with having to grip a heavy, swinging object.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Sounds weird but maybe it's not...

I have a club that I swing- both hands, over head, like pounding fence posts. I started out with a heavy hammer at work, just playing around. One of the things I noticed that was my forearms got one hell of a workout! I was totally expecting back, shoulders and such to be sore, but not my forearms. I suppose it could have to do with having to grip a heavy, swinging object.

*putters off to find a club*

olebaldie is offline Junior Member
    You could also use a broom and do wrist rolls..add a weight if its too easy.

Wrist Roller Exercise Guide and Video

Or if you want to be really cheap..soak a large bath towel and then wring it out till its dry!
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by olebaldie View Post
    You could also use a broom and do wrist rolls..add a weight if its too easy.

Wrist Roller Exercise Guide and Video

Or if you want to be really cheap..soak a large bath towel and then wring it out till its dry!
    Thanks, i'll try this one too.

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Swing away with a sledgehammer. Can't do much better for grip and wrist strength.

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    You could also get a cheap set of wrist weights and just go about your normal day =D

Amazon.com: ReebokĀ*Thumblock Wrist Weight (2-Pound Set): Sports & Outdoors

Or wear them as well as doing all these other exercises.
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast