Steve-O is offline Senior Member

The Top Ten Daily Consequences of Having Evolved

Shop Now

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Interesting stuff, thanks!
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

ciep is offline Senior Member
    This was interesting to me:

"One of the reasons it is so difficult to stop hiccupping is that the entire process is controlled by a part of our brain that evolved long before consciousness, and so try as you might, you cannot think hiccups away."

I'm actually the only person I know of who can stop hiccupping at will. I just decide to stop... and they stop. My whole life I've never understood why other people can't do this, or why I can.

Anyone else out there able to stop when they feel like it?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Cool article
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Number 8 is funny to me because I have my wisdom teeth and never had any problems with them. Does that mean I have a small brain? If so, at least I now have an excuse for all the bone-headed things I do.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Probably means you have properly-developed jaws, unlike most modern-society-dwelling people. The notion that hunter-gatherers, who are anatomically modern and don't have smaller brains than anyone else, need to extract their wisdom teeth or risk painful and deadly impactions and abscesses is laughable (not a lot of dentists on the savannah). Developmentally normal humans have jaws that accommodate their teeth just fine, but people who grow up on modern industrial diets are not developmentally normal. Similarly back pain is not an issue for people who follow ancestral behavior and movement patterns, but it is for people who spend a lot of their day sitting or standing in one spot rather than moving around naturally.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post

"One of the reasons it is so difficult to stop hiccupping is that the entire process is controlled by a part of our brain that evolved long before consciousness, and so try as you might, you cannot think hiccups away."

I'm actually the only person I know of who can stop hiccupping at will. I just decide to stop... and they stop. My whole life I've never understood why other people can't do this, or why I can.

Hey cool lie bro.

PaleoPenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post

I can't stop at will, but drinking from the other side of the cup works for me every time.
    50 year old Male
    Current Weight: 195

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Definitely food for thought. My hubby hipnotised me many (like 30) years ago and told me to stop hicupping if he said "boo" (like scaring or suprising someone) and to this day, it will stop my hicupps. So funny! I've even called him on the phone and it works!

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Hey cool lie bro.
    Haha. Unfortunately, opportunities to prove myself don't come along often. All I can say is I promise it's true.
    Last edited by ciep; 08-15-2011 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast