Thread: Serving Size of Nuts?

Serving Size of Nuts?

Shop Now
    I'm wondering how you guys consume nuts/seeds. I've noticed lately that there's a correlation between too many nuts + acne, but I'm not sure if how much I'm having is "a lot". I usually get a breakout if I sit down and eat probably a good 5-6 handfuls of nuts at a time.

Usually, I just put sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds on my avocado, so that's probably one handful or so.

How much is too much, though, in regards to omega 6/omega 3 being off balanced?

+ they are soaked.
    Last edited by echoyjeff222; 08-12-2011 at 10:47 AM.
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

I would like to know this answer as well. I've been limiting nuts since I am trying to lose weight (I probably have 5-6 nuts total every couple of days). Mostly as just a little something different at lunch.
    Jennifer, 28 years old
    Vegetarian for 13 years, primal since July 2011
    Weight lost on primal: 34.2 lbs

The Paleo author Cordain suggests to stay under 4 oz, but that sounds quite high to me. I would just stick to ~ 1 oz (20 almonds, or 1 handfull) or 1 tbsp of nut butter.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I've started eating one ounce of almonds and one ounce of walnuts with my lunch.

Standard nut serving size is an oz. That's 23 almonds, 14 walnut halves, 10-12 macadamias, or 6-7 brazil nuts. Usually averages 160-210 calories/serving, depending on the nut.

I found Planters 100% natural harvest nuts. Only ingredients are the nuts, and sea salt. while I'm cooking dinner, I have 1 serving (bag says about 10). That's it, and I'm losing weight. But keep in mind, I am IFing 18-20 hours a day as well.

okay, well that confirmed my suspicions. I'd probably be eating 5-6 servings worth ... ugh. not good!

thanks for the responses!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

One nut is too many and a thousand is not enough
    Last edited by Orchid; 08-12-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Yeah, I never go over 1oz/daily. If you're worried about omega-6/omega-3 balance, macadamias are a good choice (and they're delicious!)

Shop Now
    I eat a handful of pecans or almonds sometimes, but not every day. Since the ratio is freaking awful, but the nuts are small, the dietary impact is not pronounced. But I also eat salmon every night so it ends up being pretty balanced.