Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diabetic getting control page

cogsjon is offline Member

Diabetic getting control

Primal Fuel
    So over 6 years ago, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and was put on medication. I weighed between 300-310lbs. Right away I started eating better with CW and within a year was down to 255lbs, but my blood sugars still had radical spikes and never really got down to what is normal. I kinda had given up for awhile on eating right until last year when one of my best friends, also the best man in my wedding, introduced me to this website and got me the cookbook for my birthday last september. I tried it for awhile but had a hard time with work and the holidays and my weight went back up to about 265-270lbs. After getting back from a rugby tournament in the beginning of june, i saw photos of myself and was shocked. My blood sugar readings were also out of control being at about 180mg/dL before eating and anywhere from 225-260mg/dL two hours after a meal. (For those of you that don't know what this means, a normal blood sugar reading should be between 80-120mg/dL)
    So I started eating primal on June 6th and exercising almost everyday from crossfit type workouts to sprint conditioning(with speed parachute for resistance), tons of core exercises, and weight training. It's tough with my wife still eating grains and following CW, and I've had a few slip ups in the last couple months, but for the most part I've been really good about eating primal. I've cut my carbs down to 80-120 per day and that's from fruits and veggies, cut grains out completely. I'm 6'2" and started at about 270lbs and size 40. I'm now at 227lbs and size 36. My goal is to be around 200-215lbs for my rugby season coming up in october. The greatest part is that in the last month, my average blood sugar reading is 110mg/dL. The highest it's gotten 2 hours after eating is between 135-140mg/dL. My fasting blood sugar level is now 75mg/dL. I have a physical with my doctor coming up on the 24th of August and I'm hoping he'll tell me I can get off taking diabetes medication and control it with my new found way of life. Will update soon with photos of before at rugby tournament and now.
    Thank you Mark and everyone here for all your advice and especially to my friend for helping me find this new way of life.

JVib is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on your success!
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

BryanC is offline Member
    Chained to an Art Board in Washington State
    Quote Originally Posted by JVib View Post
    Congrats on your success!
    +1.

Keep us up on what's going on. I was just diagnosed as a Pre-Diabetic, and so I'm VERY interested in your results.
    I'm just your average, legendary superhero, trapped in a lump of flesh.

Scottish Highland Games: a sport where the fat kid gets picked FIRST.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome! Keep on going
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Me too, very interested in your journey. I'm here trying to reverse my insulin resistance (IR).

JAYTEEWHY is offline Senior Member
    awesome work !! my story is very similar 339 down to 235 , was diabetic and now have been medication free for over a year and a half, controlled completely by diet. you can do it !!!!
    "Misfortune
    can force you into doing things you should be doing anyway. Lessons
    come from adversity. Anything can happen to anyone... You can find a
    new lease on life - more meaning than you thought possible in simple
    things... Let go. Live in the moment. Go forward". Christopher Reeve

The biggest thing now I really wanna try is IF, but with the medication I'm taking right now in the morning and night, I'm required to eat within 30min after taking it.

JAYTEEWHY is offline Senior Member
    hopefully the doc will suggest lowering the dosage or eliminating the meds entirely . I actually started lowering my doses to the point i stopped altogether, I kept a real close eye on my glucose readings as I did it . I am not suggesting you take that approach , definitely talk with your doctor first .the reason I did it was that my blood sugar was getting dangerously low eating primal and taking the meds.
    "Misfortune
    can force you into doing things you should be doing anyway. Lessons
    come from adversity. Anything can happen to anyone... You can find a
    new lease on life - more meaning than you thought possible in simple
    things... Let go. Live in the moment. Go forward". Christopher Reeve

So I just had my physical yesterday with my doctor. Told me for now to lower the dosage of medicine I'm taking until next week when he has my blood test results. I'll put an update once I get those results, but good news so far.

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    congrats! great story, always love to hear about anybody able to take control of their life!

glad your doc is telling you to slow down, shouldn't be a problem for him to see how much healthier you are and you can get off any meds!

fantastic and keep us up to date

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast