Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what are some good exercises for balance? page

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member

what are some good exercises for balance?

Primal Fuel
    i have really crappy balance and i am quite clumsy, are there any good exercises i can do to help?

i thought about making a wobble board as it seems like that might be a good start. i have also been working on going barefoot for about 2 months and i can tell its helping quite a bit, my feet are getting much stronger. any other ideas?
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Lunges and all variations of lunges. Specifically ones that work your glutes. How's your flexibility/mobility?

primalfamily is offline Member
    Yoga is also very good for balance. there are whole series of balance poses that you can work on beyond the vinyasas.

Have you tried single-leg deadlifts?

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Depends on if you mean "LHT type exercises that will also help my balance" (like the lunges, OLDL, etc. that have been mentioned) or if you mean "exercises specifically for balance"... if you mean the latter, then there are loads... a wobble board is good, but if you're already off balance it might be too frustrating at first. Try putting a line of tape on the floor and walking it heel to toe (i.e. the drunk walk LOL), try standing on one leg for as long as you can. Once you can do it for a minute, do it with your eyes closed (much harder than it sounds); if you have access to a bosu ball, set it round side down and stand on the flat side - first with two feet, then, as your balance gets better, with one, then, while standing on one leg, slowly swing the other all the way behind you, then all the way in front.

Those are the ones I did in rehab from my acl surgery... I'm sure there are a bajillion more!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    The PB Fitness routine will help with that, especially as you build to the highest levels. One-legged pistol squats require a lot of balance and control, but you have to build up to them slowly.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LitheGrokkette View Post
    Have you tried single-leg deadlifts?
    yeah i have, its actually one of the things that made me want to get better balance as i can only do about 2 before losing my balance and falling over

scotchncoffee is offline Senior Member
    I second yoga.

In addition to a wobble board, you could try making a water tube. I made mine out of 4" diameter 5' long PVC capped and filled partially with water. Then, you do lunges, squats, balance postures, or martial arts stances as the water sloshes around. I'd never fallen down doing tree pose until I tried it with that.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Anything that strengthens your core (ie. planks, not crunches) will help as well with overall balance and posture. Even when you're doing what the others above have suggested, like lunges, remember to be mindful of your core. Use it to keep you stabilized.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    The single-leg stuff will help, but you need to build up to it. Look at Convict Conditioning for some progression ideas. PB Fitness should get you close as well. You won't have good results jumping straight into the higher-level skills.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast