Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinning Class - Too much? page

croí is offline Senior Member

Spinning Class - Too much?

Shop Now
    I have been thinking about taking a spinning class that is offered at my local gym. When I talked to one of the trainers there about it, they said it can get intense. So, I started thinking this might be leaning towards chronic cardio, and have been holding off.

I am trying to lose weight. In ways of exercise, I walk (briskly) for 2+ miles almost everyday, on occasion I do body weights. I just don't want to cause a stall if it is too much.

What do you think? Perhaps I could consider this as my sprinting 1x/week?
    Last edited by croí; 08-12-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The one problem with spinning classes in my gym is that they are so darn long (1 hour) or combined with the ineffectual 'strength' training program (waving 10 lbs dumbell in the air). I would take a spinning class they offer in the most unconvenient time, called Quick Revs that is 30 min long. And with a spinning class, you can't just leave quietly in the middle. Those long classes are a definitive muscule shred for anyone who is already relatively lean.

The intensity though is what you make it. You just try to go as fast and as intense as instructor tells you, but your body will keep you to the maxes you can handle, like in any cardio class.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ErikaE is offline Member
    Doesn't sound worth it to me...especially if you're already walking 2+ miles almost every day. Why not spend that time and/or money at your gym learning to lift free weights with good form? I kinda see where you're wanting to go with the sprinting thing, but...if you can go for an hour, it's not sprinting, in my opinion. And the thing about those group classes is that the trainers will push you to go at the pace they think is right, not the pace you know is right for sprint/recover. Why not just spin on your own if you want to do "sprints" that way for now?

Maybe this is just me, but cardio like that makes me really hungry -- I tend to overeat afterwards, which doesn't happen when I lift or sprint.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    “The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.” -- Joseph Campbell

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Technically, when Johnny G "invented" spinning and he started letting gyms use the word, they had to follow his protocol... which was 7 mins warm up, 30 mins programmed cycle, 8 min cool down. He also insisted that they vary the intensity on a schedule so that you could do strength cycle, endurance, intervals and (I forget the last one, but it was more like a real road ride, some flats, some hills, etc. but not intervals) and the class was NEVER longer than 45 mins. Now, globo gyms have taken over the word 'spinning' and apply it to anythign to do with a bike... typically every class is high intensity.

Sorry for the rant... I'd say once a week it's probably fine (but expect a very high intensity experience) but don't do it any more than that unless they offer an endurance class or a strength class, etc. Just my 2pence.

I think that prevalence of 1 hour classes has everything to do with burocracy (the instructor needs to be paid an hourly rate) and the people's laziness (most would rather do zombie cardio for 1 hour than sprints of 15 min).

In the end, if I ever do spinning, I will just do it on my own and stop when I loose the intensity - yeah, even if it is 10 or 12 min in.

Quote Originally Posted by lolov View Post
    Technically, when Johnny G "invented" spinning and he started letting gyms use the word, they had to follow his protocol... which was 7 mins warm up, 30 mins programmed cycle, 8 min cool down. He also insisted that they vary the intensity on a schedule so that you could do strength cycle, endurance, intervals and (I forget the last one, but it was more like a real road ride, some flats, some hills, etc. but not intervals) and the class was NEVER longer than 45 mins. Now, globo gyms have taken over the word 'spinning' and apply it to anythign to do with a bike... typically every class is high intensity.

Sorry for the rant... I'd say once a week it's probably fine (but expect a very high intensity experience) but don't do it any more than that unless they offer an endurance class or a strength class, etc. Just my 2pence.
    Undertsood. According to the gyms website it states:
    Experience the journey... ride the flats and hills, seated, standing, jumping and sprinting... A mega calorie burner with no impact!!!!; ; Be sure to sign up at the front desk to reserve your bike for your ride. Sign ups are available one hour prior to class time. No admittance to the studio once the lights are off!!!
    This class is scheduled to go 45 minutes long.

I understand what everyone is saying. It would prolly be best if I just went to the gym, found a individual bike or maybe just go on the track and do my own sprints for my own length of time? I guess I'm just bummed, cause would do better to not take the classes, but they are free with my coporate discount. LOL

Actually, looking at your class description, if it was offered in my gym, I would have tried it, because it is shorter, and sounds like all-cardio. About no impact, I have my doubts, lol. Those saddles made me feel like I was sorely raped every time (er, all of 3 times I attended a spinning class). That, and having to stare at the instructor's butt for an hour... turn off.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-12-2011 at 10:39 AM.

el_barto is offline Junior Member
    I say give it a try, you might the music and group setting. The instructors at my gym always say "it's your workout". You don't have to do every sprint and hill if you don't feel like it.

Wally_B_Sr is offline Junior Member
    at my gym I don't do the spinning classes but I do my own sprint thing using a regular exercise bike. What I do is set it for a 20 minute work out at pretty minimal resitence, then start pedaling and then turn up the resitence up all the way and pedal as fast as I can for 30 seconds then turn it back down and casually pedal for a few minutes then max it up again
    39 years old, 6'5" tall (195cm) 300 pounds (136kg)
    Started primal living in April 2011
    Start Weight 375 pounds (170kg)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast