Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprouted Peanuts - Yay or Nay? page

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member

Sprouted Peanuts - Yay or Nay?

Primal Fuel
    Most of us know the benefits of sprouting here. The theory behind sprouting is this:

Some seeds want you to eat them. An example of this is fruit seeds. That’s why fruit is sweet and colorful – so animals are attracted to them, we eat them, their special seeds are not digested and leave in fecal matter intact. This is how they spread around the world – they NEED you to eat them. Nuts, legumes and grains are a different story. They are digestible, so they do not want you to eat them. To battle us, they are full of anti-nutrients, lectins and toxic enzymes to irritate the gut and block nutrition absorption by those animals that dare eat them since, hey, they’re a plant. They can’t run away!

This is where sprouting comes in. Sprouting grains, nuts and legumes mitigate a significant portion of the toxins. It works by tricking the seed into thinking that it has now become a plant and is safe, so it can lower its defenses. Spouting deactivates a significant portion of the harmful lectins and removes much of the phytic acid content.

My question is about peanuts. Yes, they are a legume and should be avoided, but what is the consensus of sprouted peanuts? I can’t find Mark’s opinion in it anywhere and there is little research out there, unlike spouted wheat and the like. I actually like peanuts a lot better than almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts and the like. Plus, they’re a hell of a lot cheaper. When looking at the fatty acid profile, here is how peanuts stack up against almonds:

Almonds (100g)
    Calories 575
    Total Fat 49.4g
    SFA 3.7g
    MUFA 30.9g
    PUFA 12.1g
    Omega-3 6mg
    Omega-6 12,065mg
    Total Carbohydrate 21.7g
    Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
    Protein 21.2g
    Inflammation Index: +183 (moderately anti-inflammatory)

Peanuts (100g)
    Calories: 567
    Total Fat: 49.2g
    SFA: 6.8g
    MUFA: 24.4g
    PUFA: 15.6g
    Omega-3: 3mg
    Omega-6: 15,555mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 16.1g
    Dietary Fiber: 8.5 g
    Protein: 25.8g
    Inflammation Index: +87 (mildly anti-inflammatory)

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, almonds [Includes USDA commodity food A256, A264]
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Peanuts, all types, raw

So, what can we gather from this? There isn’t that much of a difference between peanuts and almonds nutritionally. Almonds are a bit lower in omega 6 and are higher in monounsaturated fats, but peanuts are higher in saturated fats, lower in carbohydrate and higher in protein. They are both anti-inflammatory (surprisingly with all that n6), with almonds being a little better. Neither are ideal foods to be eaten in excess, but on paper, one isn’t much better than the other.

The question that comes into play are two things: alfatoxins and anti-nutrients. Since spouting would mitigate some of the anti-nutrients, does that make sprouted peanuts acceptable? But what about alfatoxin? I would imagine a few cycles of sprouting and rinsing would have to remove some, right? Plus the drying cycle that would follow would have to help, right? If anyone is educated on this, I’d love to hear it. I’m really interested in making my own peanut butter. That would be fun to me.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-12-2011 at 07:32 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Interesting for sure, but as a peanut hater, I wouldn't bother to go through the process.

See, I like doing stuff like this. Soaking the nuts til they spout, drying them in my big dehydrator and putting them in a blender with some coconut oil and maybe some cold-pressed flaxseed oil to balance the n3:n6 ratio...that sounds not only fun but delicious. Or I could mix them - almond, walnut and peanut butter? Maybe blend it with dark chocolate and stevia for a mega treat? This all sounds like fun to me. And wouldn't that make an awesome ice cream topping? Nuts are just so damn expensive and peanuts are so damn cheap. I can get 9 pounds of raw peanuts for $23 shipped. A pound of almonds is like $7.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    I admit I like pb - and I use it as a treat occasionally - its not great, but the stuff I buy is just ground organic peanuts and salt - nothing more. I'll keep it in my 20% food items, just like I do honey, and chocolate. as an everyday food - not primal...but as an occasional splurge - at least I'm not splurging on wheat!

IDK about the sprouting...

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Sure it sounds like a fun, curious and healthy activity. I just don't have the desire nor the need. I will be soaking beans and stuff when I'm on my own though.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    This sounds like it could be awesome. Wikipedia says that alfatoxin also affects tree nuts: Aflatoxin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Maybe peanut butter is targeted because it's a staple in many peoples' diets. I guess what's important is getting the nuts from a source that processed and stored them properly to minimize mold growth.

These look great. They're dirt cheap and are rated very highly.

Sunland Raw Valencia Peanuts Shelled, 3-Pound Bags (Pack of 3): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

I'm not interested in paying $7/lb for almonds when peanuts are roughly the same nutritionally and they taste way better IMO, all for a little over $2/lb. I wish Mark would do a post on sprouted peanuts. I can't find much info on them.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-12-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    By sprouting, do you mean letting them actually sprout the green shoot or just keep in water overnight? I do not like peanuts myself, but my daughter eats peanut butter, but not almond butter, so I would not mind making my own for her from sprouted peanuts, if sprouted means souaking regural raw peanuts, not trying to find the growth-ready ones
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    By sprouting, do you mean letting them actually sprout the green shoot or just keep in water overnight? I do not like peanuts myself, but my daughter eats peanut butter, but not almond butter, so I would not mind making my own for her from sprouted peanuts, if sprouted means souaking regural raw peanuts, not trying to find the growth-ready ones
    You take raw peanuts without the shell or skin on them and soak them in water for 8-12 hours at a time, rinsing every 8-12 hours and refilling with fresh water until they sprout little green shoots. Then, you toss them in the dehydrator til they're dry and throw them in the blender with some oil of your choice until you get peanut butter.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I really want to try that just to see if the off the shelf 'raw' peanuts are even capable of real sprouting.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast