Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got my VFF, but is there anything to watch out for? page

JT_London is offline Member

Just got my VFF, but is there anything to watch out for?

Got a pair of speeds just in time to try them out this weekend, can't wait

But, as this will be my first barefoot expedition, do I need to ease into? I'm guessing DOMS in your feet isn't fun!
    Starting weight: 104.5 kg / 230 lbs (29th July 2011)
    100.5kg / 221 lbs (5th August 2011)
    Currently: 99.2kg / 218.6 lbs (23rd September 2011)

Twitter: @jon404

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    just go for a short walk... you'll feel it the next day. I wore mine all last fall - then when the snow came - changed my wo routine - in the spring - I eased back into my vff over 4wks - started w/ walking. then eventualy moved to walk/run, and finally began running again in them...

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Easing into them is strongly recommended. When I purchased mine I was still in the CW Chronic Cardio phase. I was running about 6-8 miles a day... so I figured "Hey I can do at least 3 miles in these".

My calves were so sore the next day I could hardly walk. It took me about a month of running in them to get my feet/legs fully acclimated. I would just run a little bit more each time.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Watch out for mesquite, goatsheads, cacti, and anything with a spiky spiny bit longer than 3 mm. Having stuff punch through your VFFs is not fun.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Watch out for dog poop.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Don't stand around on a hard surface for a long time. I was excited the day I got mine and went grocery shopping in them with my wife...big mistake. Don't ever go shopping with your wife. What I can get done in 1 hour took about 3 hours. My dogs were barking!

To sum it up...don't wear them shopping with a woman.

On a side note, I'm surprised (or naive) of the fact that people have to "ease" into barefoot or vibrams. I grew up in the country and was always barefoot. Its one of those things that makes me shake my head. But I realize not everyone grows up in the country.
    My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about easing... I have always been a barefooter, so these are actually more shoe than I am used to. I got mine and the next weekend stood on my feet all day on asphalt and was fine. But YMMV. If you aren't used to using the muscles in your feet, yeah go slowly.

OH! The reason I was posting.. (duh...) Careful for stuff getting stuck between your toes. Only complaint with the VFFs. Once I get something in between my toes (a rock, a blade of grass, a dandelion...) I have to manually remove it with my hands, and my VFFs don't give me enough "wiggle" in my toes to work it out. Kind of a pain.

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    My VFF KSO's never fit spectacularly; the big and little toes were snug in the pockets, and the middle three toes were loose. I felt pretty comfortable walking around with them. After running a few times for just a mile or two, my little toes started to hurt -- a lot. Soon one of the nail-beds turned black, and the nail fell off about 6 months later. Now the shoes just feel too tight on the little toes, and I can't even wear them for short walks without the toes hurting. I don't know if the shoes shrunk after heating up in the sun and then cooling down or what. I'm pretty sure my feet didn't grow.

Summary: make sure your pair fits you well, and ease into using them. If they feel too tight then they just might end up hurting you a bit.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    OH! another thing to watch for with VFFs is that they allow your feet to "spread" just like if you were walking barefoot. So if you wear them exclusively for awhile (like, a year or so) don't be surprised if you can't fit into your old shoes...

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I first got my vff's I did too much too fast. I used to be a runner easily able to do a 7 mph for an hour, so I "went easy" and did 5 mph for 30 min. Bad! I felt like I broke my foot in two. Had to ice it for a week and limp walk to and from work. After wearing my vff's daily for a few weeks I then started to feel my bones relaxing/spreading, and it was actually kinda painful. I felt sharp pains on the top of my foot and under the 4th and 5th metatarsus, this lasted about two weeks. Then after that, I took it REAL SLOW in running, I didn't want to relive my initial injury. took about 4 months to fully transition, just make sure you listen to your feet and stop (especially running) at the sign of pain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast