Thread: Weight loss advice page

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

So I'm fat. I'm working on losing my belly fat with PB, but since it's that season, a lot of my relations have come for the holidays and want to give me advice on how to lose weight. (Yet all of them are fat too, huh.)

1. "You need to do bicep curls. Lots of reps, very light weight."

2. "You need to walk on a treadmill. It has to be on a treadmill." (Nevermind that I walk, on average 2-3 hours a day)

3. "You need to drink low-fat milk. I saw you put coconut milk in your tea this morning! Blech!"

4. "Go to the gym more. Try three hours a day and don't come home until you're so tired. Then don't eat the rest of the day."

5. "You should really cut back on the fatty foods. Like butter."

All such "good" advice isn't it? There's still a lot of CW to crack. I find this advice rather ironic since the people most often giving it to me are also fat and diabetic.

crepitte Guest

Hi Piper,to start, I think that it's important that you know yourself. That you do a little self introspection to see what would be realistic for YOU, and that your program be tailored to where you are at currently. For example, it wouldn't help you if I suggested that you jog a mile if you couldn't yet walk a mile, or do tabata sprints if you couldn't yet jog a mile at a slow pace, see? Same thing with nutrition I believe. Fasting or intermittent fasting may give you the fastest results, but if you aren't yet accustomed to going more than a couple of hours without eating, it probably wouldn't work for you initially, partially because the will is not yet developed and the subconscious has been programmed to believe that your starving to death if you skipped breakfast, etc. I could tell you to eat nothing but a can of tuna and a carrot and restrict your calories to 100 per day-would it work? Probably for someone, but would it be realistic for you?..probably not. Having said that, what type of exercise do you believe that at your current level of fitness you could stick with and enjoy? Or how long do you think at this point that you could realistically refrain from eating on a daily basis (If you've never fasted more than 8 hours, then you wouldn't start at three days...see what I'm saying?) Also, what time of day is your appetite the greatest? I believe once you can answer those questions, you can begin to tinker with questions like how many calories do I need (based on height,weight,activity level,etc.) macronutrients and so on. I think that a program needs to be tailored to the individual as opposed to a one size fits all solution, know what I mean? Before long, those friends you mentioned will be coming to you for your advice and you will be in the cool position to help them too. You can do it.

klcarbaugh Guest

I always hear comments on how to loose weight. My brother and I usually laugh at them.

Someone said to me (tonight, actually) at a Christmas/holiday party (I very much dislike the whole "Christmas" mentality... its especially ridiculous that lasts for 2 months... anyways...) that beans were super healthy as they helped themselves to a big plate of re-fried beans. I whispered to my brother, "If only she know that the only thing healthy in those beans is the fresh lard!"

Just ignore your friends and family. They will be the ones asking you for advice down the road shortly

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

You can also lose around 15lbs instantly by decapitating yourself. That makes about as much sense as the other suggestions.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Hahaha Indiscreet, I was just thinking my arms weigh about 10 pounds each right? Plus if you get rid of them it makes it much harder to eat. It's a perfect plan.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

g2baker is offline Member

ROFLMAO! Indiscreet and hannahc!

@ crepitte, I couldn't agree with you more. Do what you CAN do, and continue to reach for goals and accomplish those goals. I've had to do tabata sprints on an elliptical trainer because my body couldn't hold up to the impact of running on a tread mill. Then I could do them on a tread mill. Now I can run up a flight of stairs. One of the issues I have on this site is all the videos on exercise are a lot of strong men showing how many pull ups they can do. There is LITTLE here for the overweight women/men who are starting this program. Except for the forum here were you can get advise. Which is SO helpful. Keeping a journal here on the forum is nice too because people like to read about other's progress. Read other peoples journals too, we learn so much from other's experience. I can find myself easily discouraged, because the weight loss on this program is slower than what I've experienced from other "diets." I seem to fluctuate a lot from day to day. Had it not been from my Body Fat scale I probably would have given up a long time ago. When I lift weights my weight can go up 2 pounds the next day. But I see that percent fat goes down, which make sense and reassures me that I'm really loosing fat. Have you been to fitday.com? I take body measurements every 5 pounds, which also reassures me that I'm on the right track.

Don't listen to other CW people, be realistic at what you can do, have goals and make a plan to reach those goals, read others journals and keep one for you, track your progress. And keep educating yourself here. Oh, don't cut off your head, or your arm!

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

lol, Indiscreet, thanks for that.

While the scale says I'm losing weight, I don't actually own a scale so I only know my weight when I go to the doctor's. I measure my (lack of) progress by taking monthly photos of my body both clothed and nude. I think the scale lies as my July pictures look just like the ones I did this month. It's discouraging. I've wanted to lose weight for so long and I'm getting such bad advice from well-meaning people, like my family.

Though there have been other changes I've been very glad for, such as a drop off in my migraines, digestive upsets and my menstrual cycle. I'm staying with PB just for that, but damn if it wouldn't be nice to be thin again.

Osa007 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hola - so, what is your height? And would you share either your weight or your weight loss goal?

If you posted what you eat I think a lot of folks here could help you.

What is your activity level? there is a lot of new data coming out that shows intense workouts won't necessarily help you with weight loss or even heart health. Being moderately busy all day, with a small amount of exercise - 10 minutes or so as high intensity as you can, with a couple minute rest, then another 10 minutes with maybe 10 minutes of stretches, or targeting certain areas with resistance style exercises might be good and won't be any '3 hours'! I have a mini-rebounder which is great & fun. I have a minor knee injury so jogging as I use to is out - however, the more I know about the damage long term/time 'aerobic' exercise can be, the more at peace with my rebounder I am.