Thread: 90+ year olds know fat is healthy page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

90+ year olds know fat is healthy

Primal Fuel
    I work in a hospital and frequently get to talk about food with the elderly. People in their 60's aren't sure about their macronutrient requirements, but the extremely old generally agree that bread is the devil, it's what makes us fat, and that lard is great. Just a quick window into the recent ways of old. It appears that, even with the advent of agriculture, some sects of never made the jump to heavy grain consumption, and they still fare better. Even right here in our own backyard. Boo-yah.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    My granpa ate like that too.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Animord is offline Member
    Yes, I have done hundreds of hours of reading on all kinds of diet and I keep thinking it all comes back to what my grandparents would have said "cut out the bread and potatoes and you will lose weight". We *knew* the answers and we forgot.

Bolivar is offline Senior Member
    Was speaking to my partner's grandpa yesterday, and how he still cooks everything in beef dripping, atta boy!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, when someone says "We can't live like cavemen" I say "OK, how about like grandpa and grandma?" Most people have elderly relatives who have bacon and eggs every day for breakfast and save the bacon fat for cooking.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Yep. They also knew that snacking between meals was bad for you.

bb90788 is offline Member
    My great grandmother lived to 103 and her husband to 97, both ate lots of butter, used lard, bacon, eggs, ate the fat on steak etc. Both also loved home made pies and cakes, but those too were made with butter and lard! I still dream sometimes about Great Grandma's Pecan pie, it was spicy, and sweet, but not overly sweet, and had like 2 or 3 lbs pecans per pie, no skimpy layer on top and tons of filling, pecans all the way through. Sadly the recipe died with her.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another thing on the snacking front. A French friend of mine had acquired a bit of a doughy midsection after working here in the states for a couple of years. He blamed it on snacking and the fact that our sweets were so much more sugary. It didn't take him long to get back to normal after cutting back on the sweets and giving up the visits to the snack cupboard at work.