Thread: Challenge: primal kids page

Glamorama is offline Senior Member

Challenge: primal kids

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here is the problem: my kids are allergic to nuts, seeds and egg white. Where do I start, what sort of foods should I feed them to get them into primal etc?

They are 4 years old (twins) and extremely addicted to things like pasta, toast and butter.

They will eat sausages ( local butcher makes his own from grass-fed beef) and meat-balls (homemade, no flour). They will eat steak if it is very tender- but only with commercial ketchup on top.

Fruit and veggies are hard work but I'm slowly getting there.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    Here is the problem: my kids are allergic to nuts, seeds and egg white. Where do I start, what sort of foods should I feed them to get them into primal etc?

They are 4 years old (twins) and extremely addicted to things like pasta, toast and butter.

They will eat sausages ( local butcher makes his own from grass-fed beef) and meat-balls (homemade, no flour). They will eat steak if it is very tender- but only with commercial ketchup on top.
    I've got my 6 year old on board with primal. She'll eat most meat as long as it's soft (burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, steak if I don't ruin it). She loves steak with guacamole. I make her chicken nuggets with the chicken breaded in parmesan. We do a lot of smoothies with kefir or greek yogurt, and ice cream (equal parts frozen fruit & heavy cream in the Ninja for a few seconds..easiest treat ever). In the Everyday Paleo book, there's a pancake recipe that I make for her. There are actually a lot of very kid friendly ideas in that book. As for vegetables, she's not crazy about a lot of them (what 6 year old is?) but her favorite by far is sweet potatoes. I'll mash them with some butter and cinnamon and she eats it right up. She likes anything with pumpkin too...pancakes, muffins, etc. She'll eat tomato if there's bacon to go along with it. That's become one of her favorite lunches, pieces of bacon and tomato stacked on top of each other. Since losing weight isn't a concern for her, she eats white rice (I don't).

Nice, some great ideas there! I think I need to empty the pantry of their staples like crackers and bread and pasta, and it should be easier? My kids would def have rice, they are on the smaller side and I don't want them to get any skinnier.
    Today their lunch was Greek yogurt with homemade stewed apples, cinnamon and a spoon of coconut butter melted in. But I'll really need to ensure my house is stocked up on meats that are kid-friendly.

fondalashay is offline Senior Member
    You could always make homemade ketchup and just bottle it in the 'commercial bottle' - Make it sweet the first round then you can start cutting back the honey or such in it.. if it is gradual enough and their taste are changing I be they wont notice I know my grandma has been one to do these type things with me when I was younger and it worked. She also snuck liver and carrots into meatloaf, molasses instead of sugar into banana bread or cookies ect.

Lykke til!

Quote Originally Posted by fondalashay View Post
    You could always make homemade ketchup and just bottle it in the 'commercial bottle' - Make it sweet the first round then you can start cutting back the honey or such in it.. if it is gradual enough and their taste are changing I be they wont notice I know my grandma has been one to do these type things with me when I was younger and it worked. She also snuck liver and carrots into meatloaf, molasses instead of sugar into banana bread or cookies ect.

Lykke til!
    Woohoo another Nordmann!

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Just as an aside, you don't need to restrict paleo carbs with kids - the only reason to do that is for blood sugar control really for those who have problems in that area, as long as they're getting plenty of nutritious stuff besides. And of course, being brought up like that, the likelihood is they'll never have problems with blood sugar

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    how about a nice soup with bone broth? My kids both go for chicken soup, made with rice and regular potatoes for a carb boost.

I am liberal with them about bacon, avocado, and whole milk yogurt (for the non dairy sensitive kid).

I keep lots of fresh veggies and fruits around for snacks, especially bananas and sweet peppers.

Another easy anytime meal base is baked sweet potatoes, blend in cuisinart with coconut oil and almondmilk (for the nondairy kid) or butter and heavy cream. Freeze in individual portions, and pop in the micro for an easy breakfast, lunch, snack, or dinner base.

Both of my kids love steak, or hamburgers, so we keep those around.

Other easy dishes:

Rice, meatballs, and tomato sauce. Could make this into stuffed peppers if they would go for it.
    Shepherds pie. I use potato, parsnip, and cauliflower for the crust, hamburger, peas, carrots for the base.

HeyChelle is offline Senior Member
    I would just slowly stop buying the pasta and bread and replace it with meals that don't have grains.
    Make an Italian meat sauce and then serve it over veggies or cauliflower rice. When you serve dinner, just say "We're all out of pasta today so we are having XYZ instead."

With kids, if you can take the grains out of their diet, or minimize it, then your 80% to Primal already. The next step is reducing sugar. One day I just stopped buying juice and haven't looked back. They haven't missed it. We rarely have candy or other stuff, so it's been a pretty simple transition around here. Although I've never made it complete. My kids still eat brown rice bread or Ezekiel bread for breakfast and so does my dh. That's the one thing they would protest.

Quote Originally Posted by racingsnake View Post
    Just as an aside, you don't need to restrict paleo carbs with kids - the only reason to do that is for blood sugar control really for those who have problems in that area, as long as they're getting plenty of nutritious stuff besides. And of course, being brought up like that, the likelihood is they'll never have problems with blood sugar
    We have problems with bloodsugar in this family, everyone gets Diabetes in their 40s, and apparently my kids epigenetic switches are screwed due to my eating during pregnancy. Mind you, they get gluten-free toast twice a week, and also rice/ potatoes. But I'm also giving them coconut oil and Omega3.

I'm amazed at how well they have adapted in the last 10 days. They are happily eating fruits and don't complain about not getting biscuits!