Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much fat is too much fat? page

carolanne88 is offline Member

How much fat is too much fat?

Shop Now
    So I suspect my intake of fat and the amount of fruits and nuts in my diet are the culprits in my lack of success with weight/fat loss. I have been stuck at this weight for over a year and quite frankly, I'm sick of trying. BUT I refuse to give up. I know I have to tweak my foods and more than likely need to monitor calories/fats/carbs to see any results.

So how much healthy fat is too much? I had great success on the south beach diet several years ago and I think the difference is that I ate leaner meats and i hardly ever ate fruit or bread, pasta, rice, etc. I know I don't need to eliminate fat but I think maybe I'm eating too much?

I dunno. I'm probably grasping at straws. I'm just so frustrated and sooooo tired of getting nowhere. I know the scale doesn't matter, but I am not seeing any change in the way my clothes fit either.

(By the way, the pics you see are not where I am at now. Belly fat (stress!) and flank fat are the things I am fighting, and seem to get nowhere)
    Last edited by carolanne88; 08-11-2011 at 06:08 PM.

MollyMoo is offline Senior Member
    Good question - folk say things like "liberal fats" or "plenty of fats" but that means different things to different folks - I'd love to know the answer in grams/ounces

Knarf is offline Junior Member
    Give us, if you can, what you're eating on a daily basis, and some body composition estimates? Then we'll see?

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I personally would firstly make the fruit a treat, and not sure how many nuts you eat, but I never eat more than 5-6 at a time, and only 3-4 times weekly. If I stall for more than 2 months the nuts will go. You mention stress: is your sleep poor? Could it be spiked cortisol-levels due to the stress than is stopping you from losing?

carolanne88 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    I personally would firstly make the fruit a treat, and not sure how many nuts you eat, but I never eat more than 5-6 at a time, and only 3-4 times weekly. If I stall for more than 2 months the nuts will go. You mention stress: is your sleep poor? Could it be spiked cortisol-levels due to the stress than is stopping you from losing?

Stress is due to work. I typically work 45 - 55 hours a week. I rarely get more than 7 hours sleep and some nights, I toss and turn....or will be up for a couple of hours because I can't sleep. I know stress has a lot to do with it. My husband has moved into the guest bedroom on weeknights, so that I can sleep. He snores and keeps me up.

Nuts, I can never eat just 5 or 6. I try to stay away from them and try to eat very little fruit, but when I'm stressed and tired, it's much easier to grab some fruit or a handful or nuts, than to cook a meal. I realize this is part of my problem.

Give us, if you can, what you're eating on a daily basis, and some body composition estimates? Then we'll see?
    I'll work on this tomorrow. I have to get to bed.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Could you post a few days worth of food for us to check out? Also your current height/weight/body fat would be helpful.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carolanne88 View Post
    My husband has moved into the guest bedroom on weeknights, so that I can sleep. He snores and keeps me up.
    In college, I remember an apartment neighbor whose snoring came right through my bedroom walls. It was pure h*ll for me.

Your hubby sounds like a dear. My husband also snores and even the slightest hint can drive me batty all night. He now wears a breathe right strip to bed and it has worked wonders for us, perhaps that would help.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    It might be hormonal. Belly fat and "flank fat" are hormonal fat deposits. They will stay that way until you get your stress under control.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I think this is where calories come into play a little bit. I would try tracking your calorie intake for a few days just to get an idea. You might be surprised at what you are consuming. I know everyone always says to eat more fat when people complain of a plateau, but I found that I needed to dial it back a little bit. Fatty meat + butter + bacon + olive oil on salads + coconut milk = a whole lot of calories. I still get plenty of fat, probably 50-60% of my calories are fat, but now I am losing weight steadily (slowly, but steadily!). I've also found that it helped me to add a few more carbs in the form of sweet potatoes and white rice a few times a week, and to vary the number of calories I eat each day. Experiment with different things, and you'll figure out what works best for you. Obviously what you've been doing for the past year isn't quite the answer.

Are you getting any exercise? I've had trouble with sleeping well in the past (my husband works odd hours, so I always waking up when he'd get home and not be able to get back to sleep for hours), and what helps more than anything is to get fresh air, sunshine, and to just move for a half hour. Just a walk or a swim will do it, it doesn't have to be strenuous at all. Combining that with my better diet has improved my ability to sleep and be well rested 100%, and now if I do wake up during the night, I almost always fall back to sleep within minutes.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carolanne88 View Post
    So how much healthy fat is too much? I had great success on the south beach diet several years ago and I think the difference is that I ate leaner meats and i hardly ever ate fruit or bread, pasta, rice, etc. I know I don't need to eliminate fat but I think maybe I'm eating too much?
    A diet that's low-carb and low-fat—and, therefore, relatively high-protein—like the South Beach Diet isn't really advisable. Apart from anything else it depletes vitamin A. There were some very high-fat diets and some fairly high-carb diets among primitive peoples. (It tended to depend on the latitude they were living in.) But no traditional society eats a very high-protein diet. AFAIK, even Stefansson's all-meat diet was only about 20% protein (the rest being fat).

You mention "fruits and nuts" but you don't say how much of each you're eating. I'd guess something like one to three small servings of (preferably low-sugar) fruit isn't going to do most people much harm. And again an ounce or so of nuts a day, or perhaps every other day, is fine—any more and, macronutrients aside, it's probably rather too much omega-6s.

Is your sleep OK? and is your stress low?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast