Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange side effect to going Primal page

Moe
    Moe is offline Junior Member

Strange side effect to going Primal

Primal Fuel
    Hi All!

I was hoping one of you smart cookies might be able to shed some light on this one - I've been Primal for about 6 weeks now. I'd say I fit well within the 80/20 range (... sometimes 70/30). I have PCOS / low thyroid production and am over the moon to be able to live drug free for the first time in years.

However lately I've been noticing a bit of an odd side effect - increased sensitivity to temperature. Cold specifically (as it's winter here at the moment). I almost constantly have goosebumps - I have well meaning people commenting on how cold I must be all the time! Strangely, I get goosebumps even when I'm not feeling all that cold.

I've lost some weight - I can't tell you how much because the scales and I don't really talk any more. But I'd say a dress size easily.

Is this just a weight loss thing, my body becoming more efficient, something something?

Just curious, not all that concerned.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Not sure but I myself have become warmer since going primal!

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I find myself getting cold more often now that I have 36 less pounds of insulation

But, conversely, in the summer I handle the heat and humidity much better than I did before.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Moe
    Moe is offline Junior Member
    I'll just file it under "something to do with weight loss".

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    I had a similar response. I never used to get cold, until the past winter. The loss of 90 lbs of insulating fat certainly had something to do with it.

You very likely also have metabolic issues that have changed too. You might also want to look up 'brown fat', which our body can burn to get warm. It's what infants are covered in since they can't shiver. I suspect extreme weight loss also burns brown fat reserves.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Yes, this is typical. I no longer feel like I'm going to die of heatstroke in 95-degree southern California July/August weather. I used to feel like I was going to die at 80 degrees.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I also feel colder, and I live in the Northwest. I just chalk it up to better metabolic regulation and assume it means I'll live longer.

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Were you taking meds for your thyroid specifically? Being more sensitive to cold than other people are is a classic symptom of being hypo. Reading your post made me realize that I get goosebumps on occasion for no apparent reason. Hmmmm. Weird.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

tumbleweed is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss View Post
    Were you taking meds for your thyroid specifically? Being more sensitive to cold than other people are is a classic symptom of being hypo. Reading your post made me realize that I get goosebumps on occasion for no apparent reason. Hmmmm. Weird.
    This is what I was thinking. If you took yourself off of Synthroid, you may be back to being low on thyroid, and sensitivity to cold is a symptom of that. Have you had your levels checked since going primal?

sixtoesgirl is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just throwing this out there. Could it be your blood pressure is lower? I have low blood pressure and I'm always cold. People with high blood pressure typically fuss about being warm/hot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast