Thread: Graveyard shift uggg so tired page

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

Graveyard shift uggg so tired

Primal Fuel
    I was born 9 pounds 5 1/4 ounces. Not at all surprised I'm obese now....or not obese now....not sure because my body fat% on the scale says 22%-30% lol. Anyway I was obese maybe just overweight now. I want to get a BodPod test but the tester at the University in Odessa Texas said the student that does the scheduling for that is doing his thesis and will get back to me. Its been about 2 months since he said that . He said I could get it for free if I sign a thing saying they can use the data. Anywhere....well I just started graveyard shift at Walgreens and I'm tired as hell I just stayed up all night and went to sleep an hour after I got home at around 9 in the morning and didn't eat.

As this is the first time I've had the schedule I'm not sure it'll stay like this but I started out with a 30 hour week of working 4 pm to 12 am and being off. Right now I'm working for 5 days straight on graveyard followed by 5 days off. Graveyard shift is 12 am to 8 am. I'm not at all sure how I should eat and when I should sleep while doing graveyards. I think after the 5 days off I go back to a week of 4 pm to 12 am though I'm not sure.

I really liked the sound of making 10.50 instead of 10.00 for overnights but not it feels inadequate...so tired.

I started the week out with normal 4 pm to 12 am and than I'm scheduled for 12 am to 8 am Thursday through Monday or Tuesday I don't remember which.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Doing graveyard shifts is hell on most people's health. I wouldn't do one for 50 cents/hour extra.

I think you probably need to experiment with eating. Maybe someone with experience will jump in. It has been about 25 years since I did one, thankfully.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Well I'm not sure if it is really just 50 cents/hour extra they were talking about putting me at 8.25 an hour unless I agreed to do graveyards. The 50 cents extra is what they technically give me for working graveyards. I suppose I might be making 8.25 instead of 10 dollars for normal times if I hadn't agreed to do them.

So that's 1.75 more for regular hours and 2.25 more on graveyard shift hours.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    I worked nights for 2 years. It will wear you down more than it's worth for 50 cents an hour. If you have the option, don't do it, for your health's sake. If you don't have the option, Mark wrote a column recently for tips for shift workers with some good tips for dealing with daylight and sleep. It's tempting to try to get by with as little sleep as possible when you work nights, but you really have to guard your sleep like it's the most important part of your day. As for meal timing, whether you decide to get your sleep either right after work, or bump it up against the beginning of your shift, whatever works best for you. When I worked nights, I slept right after work into the afternoon, then stayed up until time to go to work again. Probably most important is to make sure your last meal is at least a few hours apart from when you go to bed, just like if you worked a normal schedule. Good luck, and seriously, if you don't have to work nights, don't, especially if you are trying to heal some metabolic issues.

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Just a few more tips - make your bedroom as dark as you can. You need your body to think it's night when you're sleeping. Get some eye shades. And tell your friends and family that bothering you during your sleep time is no different than you calling or stopping by at 3 o'clock in the morning for them. You wouldn't do that to them, and they need to respect your sleep as well. If you have a hard time sleeping during the day, take melatonin 30 minutes before you go to bed. You can start at 1 mg and go up from there if you need it.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Control your light as much as you can. As soon as you wake up, get some sunlight in your eyes.
    As you are winding down your shift, put on a pair of blue-blocker sunglasses. This will help simulate a setting sun.
    That is, of course, assuming that you are sleeping immediately after your shift.

Similar rules apply if you are sleeping immediately before your shift, like from 4-11pm or something. Then you can be awake during the day as much as possible, which will probably be more beneficial for your body.