Thread: Are peanuts good? page

Girown is offline Member

Are peanuts good?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What kind of peanuts are good for you. Or nuts?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I think most people would say no on the peanuts, yes to macadamias, maybe yes on walnuts.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Peanuts are legumes. They are high in lectins, which are inflammatory. Thet are also high in O6 PUFAs, also inflammatory in the quantities normally eaten.

Most true nuts are also high in PUFAs. Whilst stable in their whole form, these tend to oxidise easily once processed (think butters or flours). They also oxidise easily in the body. Some PUFAs are essential, but it is very easy to get enough.

I only eat nuts if they are integral to a dish I'm presented, but I have to avoid inflammation because of my health history
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Noooooooooooo! Vile, disgusting little nuggets of grossness - destroy on sight.

Possibly slightly influenced by my intense peanut hatred but honestly, no, they're not too Primal.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Are they good? They're delicious! But they're not good for you. As said before, they're very high in omega 6 and lectins. However, so are almonds, walnuts, pecans and most nuts in general. The reason why peanuts are elevated above the rest in terms of being unhealthy is they're usually loaded with alfatoxin.

Aflatoxin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, they're mildly inflammatory, a bit tough to digest and covered in fungus. I get a bag when I go to baseball games just because it's a ritual, but they should be avoided in general. I have tickets to a game on Wednesday, so I'll buy a bag, but 3 or 4 times a year won't kill you...unless you're allergic, of course!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    No they are not good!

I eat macadamias a few times a week, and sometimes almonds or hazelnuts. But not much, only 5-6 nuts each time I have them, which is normally only 3 times a week.

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    yea, send them to me, I'll destroy them for you

tarek is offline Senior Member
    If you like them, eat them. No need to pay more money for other nuts, seeds, or nut/seed butters that are just as problematic. Unless, of course, you prefer those.

If you could make or find sprouted peanut butter, that would be your best choice.

Troat is offline Junior Member
    Nuts of any kind of actually supposed to be really good for you because they have a lot of vitamins and nutrients your body needs. However, many nuts are also calorie dense so eat in moderation.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Peanuts are legumes, so normally Paleo/Primal diets avoid them.

All other nuts are Okay, as long as you:
    -are not overeating them (i.e. you using them to replace grains)
    -you are not using modern cooking technology to make decidedly non-Paleo foods with Paleo ingredients (such as sweetened pastes, pseudo-pastries etc - anything that feels like junk food, IS a junk food, no matter what it is made of).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.