Thread: Is there hope for this 52 year old fat guy? page

Gut Chex is offline Junior Member

Is there hope for this 52 year old fat guy?

Primal Fuel
    A quick bio plus a bit more:
    I used to be very athletic up until college than the drinking and crap food became the staples of my life and I have been battling with my weight and poor fitness ever since.
    I have grown very tired these past 30 years of yo,yo'ing and getting my confidence broken time and time again.
    I am a happily married 52 year old father with a beautiful 14 y/o daughter and I feel I have cheated both my wife and child of a more active exciting lifestyle due to my ...how should I say.... rather large girth!
    I have come into this new primal way of life Aug. 1st at 328 lbs. I have since dropped 7 lbs over the last 10 days. I honestly feel good but I have to admit I still have those carb pangs more than I care to admit. I gave up all alcohol which is really no big deal. I walk 45 minutes 6 times/week since my knees can't handle any sprinting at this point in my conditioning. My resistant training is also limited because I am having shoulder surgery this next week.
    My question to the PB community. Can I really do this and sustain this way of life? It all makes very much sense to me but my wife is very skeptical since she has seen me go off on other diet programs and fail though she remains supportive on this since she sees I am honestly trying to improve my health. I sincerely believe I have found the right way to live with this program and will lose the 110 lbs. I am aiming for. I would like to hear from any of you who have lost a large sum of weight and the practicality of eating this way for the long term. I know this takes real commitment at least so far it has with meal preparing and finding time to exercise. This however is my TOP PRIORITY in life right now because I feel that I can't go back ever to the way of life that I have been living. I mean I wake up everyday with pain in my knees and back and I just want to know if I will ever feel good again when I get out of bed. I'm too young to be in this state of health. Thankfully my labs are very good. Normal BP 122/80,glucose,triglycerides fine and no heart issues. So I have no excuses not to move forward to a better way of living going primal.
    I'm sure some of you have been in this same position and I really wouldn't mind having your support along the way. I will post my updates as I go if not for anything else but to convict myself in times of struggle.
    Thanks Y'all,
    Gut Chex
    97% of the time I'm right, So who cares about the other 4% ?

exilio is offline Junior Member
    I am sure the consensus here will be a resounding: Absolutely!!!

You can do this. Any one can. However, how badly do you want it?

As it has already been stated in Mark's book and this site, your diet will dictate 80% of your physical result. You will need to be disciplined and probably need some support from the family. Don't look at this as a diet, but as a new way of eating for life. This isn't a weight loss program. In fact it has been clearly articulated by Mark and I agree, that eating primally and working out will get your body to where it should be. The benefit being that, where your body should be is a place where it is lean, strong, vital and sustainable without making you feel worn down and unhappy.

You will quite literally get out of this what you put into it. That having been said, what is your motivation? Write it down! Tape it up somewhere! Be able to clearly and unwaveringly recite why it is you want this change and how you are going to do it. For me, that was seeing a photo of myself and realizing that was not what I wanted to look like. I didn't really pick a weight to achieve, or a time limit to do it in. I just started eating primally and doing the type of workouts I enjoyed that mirrored what was in Mark's book, i.e. lift heavy things, move quickly, play/rest, etc.

Give yourself no room for variation or cheat days. In for a dime in for a dollar--how else could you say you honestly tried? Any thing less is half-hearted and half-assed. You and your family deserve your BEST effort.
    Last edited by exilio; 08-11-2011 at 04:23 PM.

davem is offline Senior Member
    None, let's go for a walk, ol' yeller.

It will be difficult, and you'll need willpower and resolve. There will be challenges, and I assure you that most of them will be purely mental.

Seriously, do you want it? If you do, it's yours to take.

My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have to agree with the others. How bad do you want it?

Honestly, the first 2 or 3 weeks are the hardest. After that, it's a piece of, um... jerky. If you can keep telling yourself "just one more day", you'll be fine. If you started on August 1st, you're already almost done with the worst part. After a while, it just becomes natural and normal, and you really don't even think about it except when you're shopping for food or cooking.

And there are a lot of people on here that either were seriously overweight or are well past the teenage years (ahem). I'm 46 myself, so it's never too late to change for the better.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

belinda is offline Senior Member
    You CAN do this! Get through the carb flu and fight those initial cravings and you'll be well on your way to becoming the person you want to be.

Take an hour or two and read through the before/after success stories. You'll see that you're not alone, and you're far from being in the worst shape of anyone on here.

Make sure to come and talk to us - we love to give support and to help people succeed.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

exilio is offline Junior Member
    And I forgot to mention, and this is where family support comes in--you have to raid your cupboards and fridge!

Even if your wife and kids are not overweight, do you really want them eating things that are not healthful? Remember, this isn't a weight loss scheme, it is a different way of eating for the rest of your life--hopefully a long and healthful one.

With this in mind, I went through my kitchen and pantry and filled up six grocery bags of items that were not Primal--I then took them to the local food bank. NO EXCEPTIONS!!! Although I was a bit conflicted to do so, because I was passing on food that I now knew to be counter to healthy eating--but that's a decision others have to decide for themselves.

I also started stocking my shelves with all of the things I knew that were Primal friendly for cooking. Again, NO EXCEPTIONS!!!

Eating this way will be challenging enough initially. Why keep potential stumbling blocks close by? You will have to condition your mind and your body to achieve the goal. Remove the temptations and you will be well on your way to success.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Read the success stories. Yes you can do it.

Some people need to start very strictly. Some need to ease into primal. I was in the latter camp and it has worked very well for me.

if you have access to a pool, water sprints, swimming, etc. are easy on your legs. If necessary, get a flotation belt and go to where you can't touch the bottom to take off even more pressure.

Concerning Fail, I just made a blog entry about that.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

scooby is offline Member
    Others may disagree, but for the type of serious weight loss you're looking to achieve, I think it helps to think of "primal" or "paleo" dieting as a destination and not as the place that you start at. You're having carb pangs. My sense is that the easiest way to get those types of things to end is to pretty much break your reltionship to food. One way to do this, which worked for me (95 lbs since December, even without losing much the last month and a half), is to adopt a highly regimented plan where you don't have a lot of food choices at all. I went through a weight management program run by a university that was largely just a modified protein fast. I had mostly shakes or bars for a couple of months. None of that was as ideal nutrition wise as eating primally. I had to supplement with vitamins and potassium pills and take flax seed to make sure I got at least some fat. But it really killed my cravings and appetite. It allowed me to eat few calories, lose weight rapidly, and got me off gluten and fructose, curing the major metabolic issues. This entire time, I only walked for exercise, just trying to get in 10,000 steps a day. I did this until I had lost 50 lbs.

While I did that, however, I read a lot of sources about nutrition and made up my mind that when I started incorporating food back, this would be how I would eat. That allowed me to essentially retrain my palate. After months on bland, non-palatable food, adding a salad or a some unsweetened berries began to taste decadent. I began to train in earnest as I added food back. First, one meal of protein and veggies a day. Then two. Eventually, as I was exercising harder I found I could tolerate non-gluten grain carbs like rice and potatoes. This second phase of weight loss is when I really began to focus on fitness, because my body could handle it.

Now, you needn't use protein shakes. You can probably use real food. But I'd consider making that food kind of rudimentary and routine. Don't look for variety at first. Break the need for palatability. The key insight, I think, is that the first step in any diet is to correct your metabolic issues. Which means those first few months may be different than how you eat the rest of your life. It's not "diet" forever and it's not "diet" until you get to your goal and then go back to how you ate. It's diet until your body reverses metabolic disorder and then eating more mindfully in the future.