Thread: Winter footwear? page

Borderline is offline Junior Member

Question Winter footwear?

I am in love with my Vibram Five Fingers Trek Sport model and wear them any chance I can (certainly on the weekends). The only problem is that they are really fair weather things; they're only as warm as sandals and can't be called waterproof either. They work fine for me right now because I live in a very warm and dry climate, but I might have to move to a very cold locale soon. What should I do? I'm of course aware that Grok went barefoot in the snow and all this, but I really can't see myself being able to do that without getting pneumonia. Is there a Vibram model more suited to cold climates - I doubt it - or is there another solution?

mamagault is offline Member
    Several people at our church have the VFF KSOs and purchase special socks to go with them. They've all worn them through this last winter, and it was really snowy here then (snowpack from Dec 1 - Feb something, which almost never happens here).

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Vibram Flows.

I live in NY. With the exception of one morning where it was 17 below zero, I wore them every day.

PS- do not wear socks with Flows. If your feet get wet, they stay wet. Without socks if your feet get wet they warm and dry eventually.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    I just bought a pair of VFF Flows and I love them. They keep my feet warmer than my sprints do and I HATE having cold feet.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Nion is offline Senior Member
    They make winter boots, they're just very hard to find. Vibram Five Finger Boots for Cold Weather
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Wander is offline Junior Member
    I wear KSOs (the ones made of kangaroo leather) in the snow and don't have issues...

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    Traditional, double soled moccassins: Handmade HighTop Pueblo Boot Moccasins

"If you ever wondered why Pueblo Indians wear these, it's because they are smart. The sole will soften and actually forms to your foot and becomes as comfortable as a sock or wearing no shoes at all. "

davem is offline Senior Member
    hm. Nion, I wonder if those would work for hunting...
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Borderline is offline Junior Member
    Wow, thanks to all of you for your advice - I will check out the Flow model and maybe the kangaroo skin ones too!

Indeed, I too am skeptical about the socks; even the guy at the store told me they were no good and were only being made because of demands from customers. The boots look really cool, but I wonder if they offer the same kind of freedom to move your ankle that the normal Five Fingers do?

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I looked one vibram five fingers' website today and couldn't find the boots.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!