Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk: White Rice page

Docter is offline Member

Let's talk: White Rice

Primal Fuel
    EDIT: Deleted the part about Japan. My topic is the question below.

Since white rice is pretty much just fluffy carbs, are you okay eating it?

Personally, I do because I need to eat a lot of food to put on muscle mass. White rice is the cheapest, kinda paleo-ish option.
    Last edited by Docter; 08-11-2011 at 12:07 PM.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    It's a minor part of my diet, usually when I go to Chipotle or have Thai green curry....just makes those meals taste better.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Docter View Post
    [*]Japanese people eat white rice.[*]Why? Becuase their "method of safe grains" is to remove the husk/hull of brown rice.[/LIST]

So this is strong evidence in my opinion that white rice is safer to eat.[/I]
    Your assumption there is that the companies selling rice in Japan remove the bran because that's healthiest. But that ain't necessarily so. More likely they're removing it because their customers prefer the taste, or—even more likely—to get a longer shelf life. Ask yourself: Is everything U.S. food processors do aimed at producing the healthiest product?

It could well be that, on balance, whiter rice is, as you say, the better option—providing you have some other source of the B-vitamins that you would get from the bran—c.f. beriberi:

Beriberi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, yeah, it may be better. But the logic in the argument you gave is faulty. There are plenty of reasons for removing the bran other than because the processor believes it to be harmful. Not to say that some traditional societies may not have removed the bran—or some of it at any rate—from rice, wheat, rye, etc. to make their grain more digestible. But there are other reasons to do it, and what's done by processors in a modern society—such as contemporary Japan—isn't a good guide to what's best to do.

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    Traditionally the Japanese almost always ate pickled vegetables with their rice as well.
    It's hard to say which rice is better by themselves, it's a trade-off between the anti-nutrients of the brown rice and the insulin response from the white rice. But as long as you're getting some fiber along with it, white rice is a far better option.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Since white rice is pretty much just fluffy carbs, are you okay eating it?
    Can't have sushi without it.
    Rice gives me asthma like breathing challenges, but for sushi I'll deal with it. That's it though.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Your assumption there is that the companies selling rice in Japan remove the bran because that's healthiest. But that ain't necessarily so. More likely they're removing it because their customers prefer the taste, or—even more likely—to get a longer shelf life.
    The bran and husk also have market value as filtering media, especially in brewing.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    As someone who exercises regulalry, I find that I will go insane if I don't have lots of choices for high carb re-feeding. I like Sweet Potatoes but I also don't like eating them all the time. So rice is a good secondary source of carbs for me. I too have a sushi addiction that I simply refuse to give up EVER. Many in the Paleo community have relaxed their stance on White rice. Chris Kresser at the helthy sceptic is a really smart dude and he's good with white rice.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I do because I need to eat a lot of food to put on muscle mass. White rice is the cheapest, kinda paleo-ish option.
    Hmm, I always thought the ability to grow muscle mass was limited by one's genes and hormones.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like white rice, but can't have it too often. If I do I gain (fat) relatively quickly. That being said I still eat it at least once a week especially after it getting the 'safe' stamp, and when I start to seriously mess with carb re-feeds I'll be using that as it treats my stomach well. I didn't eat it for many many months though.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast