Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long before fat loss? page

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I'm just wondering, for the people who have been Primal for a while...

How long was it before you noticed you lost some weight (fat)? Was it within the first week or two or does it take a while for your body to realize what's going on?

I'd assume that as soon as you drop your carbs, your body would have to figure out that it needs to burn fat, but is it really that immediate?

And how long does it take for you to be actually "in ketosis"?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

After a few days of dropping the carbs you will notice a decrease in weight because of the water loss. Ketosis for me sets in around day 2 or 3.

Thanks. That's helpful. Why water loss though? Unless it's as a result of lessened sodium intake...

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

BigBeck89 Guest

because carbs(glycgen) hold water...less carbs, less water

Nick Guest

There's approximately 4g of water tied to each 1g of glycogen in your muscles and liver. You have 1600-2000 calories of glycogen in your body at any given time (unless your muscle mass is way below or way above a normal range), which is 400-500g, or about a pound, of glycogen. So you have 4 pounds of water tied to the glycogen.

Now, your body can produce its own glycogen from protein and fat via gluconeogenesis in the liver, so it's not like you're going to have 0g glycogen in your body. But at least at first, before your liver is used to making its own from scratch, your levels might dip pretty low. So losing 4-5 pounds pretty quickly is most likely glycogen.

Another thing to consider is that insulin resistance can also have an effect on minerals and salts and whether they can get into cells, and this can screw up your fluid balance, which is why you see the morbidly obese (like >50% body fat) diabetics with constrictor leggings and they sometimes end up getting stuff amputated. So that's another source of excess fluid you can lose. Which is why sometimes you'll see people on The Biggest Loser drop 25 pounds or something in the first week (note: not endorsing anything about their diet or exercise regime) when they start out at 400+.

I lost weight (13 lbs in 2.5-3 weeks) very quickly when starting low carb, and tend to plateau as soon as I start thinking I'm making so much progress that I can ease up on the carb restriction a bit and stop doing so much intermittent fasting. Now that I'm doing more IF and basically eating meat and eggs, my plateau is finally starting to yield.

Losing is always harder than maintaining, unless you are lucky and are just obese but have a totally intact metabolism for some reason. I don't think low carb is magic for everyone, although it is for some people. I feel like the more you put in in terms of the degree to which you restrict your carbs, how good you can get your Omega6:Omega3 ratio, how much you can incorporate IF, how often you do strength training and sprints, and how much you're honestly putting intensity into those exercises, the more you're going to get out of it in terms of fitness, weight loss, and overall health.

If you do all that, you should get better, faster results than someone who eats 75-100g of carbs a day and has all factory meat from Walmart and doesn't do any exercise.

Ultimately it all comes down to boosting your metabolic rate (lifting, sprinting, cutting omega-6 fats (they reduce the effect of thyroid hormone)), and increasing the fraction of your metabolic needs that can be met by body fat (it's really not a calorie deficit, you're just eating stored fat instead of ingesting it), which means lowering insulin as low and as consistently as possible.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that Nick. It makes perfect sense. I must admit I still don't understand the Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio though...or what the thyroid actually does.

Right now there's not much I can do in the way of exercise, especially intense exercise (recovering from surgery) so I'm focusing on the food right now...

Nick Guest

To give you an idea of what thyroid does, I'll tell you about what happened to my wife her first year in grad school. Over a few months she gained about 15 pounds, started being cold all the time, falling asleep in class (she was a 4.0 student in undergrad), etc. Eventually she got diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Replacement thyroid hormone mostly fixed all that (long story, I'll stop here).

Basically, it regulates your metabolic rate. If you have insufficient thyroid hormone, or it has insufficient effect on your tissues, you will be colder, have a lower heart rate, burn fewer calories, etc. See this article by Stephan: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...uppresses.html

Helps explain why rats can be fed the same calories of butter or tallow and not gain weight, while rats fed corn oil gain weight.

For a good overall primer on the effects of the O6:O3 ratio, and how it's long term dietary ratio (what's integrated into your cells, not what you ate on any given day) that determines the effect on your body (yet another reason why it can take a while to fix years of dietary mistreatment), see this three-post series, of which this is the first: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...d-insulin.html

normdave is offline Junior Member

I lost six pounds in about 1.5 weeks, just about what I needed to.

Wow, normdave. That's great! Just from changing your eating habits? Or did you also start a new exercise regimen?

Nick, thanks so much for taking the time to explain all of that and linking me and stuff.

I started this about 2 weeks ago and I am down at least 5 lbs (cannot tell you exactly, right now, because my female cycle just started and I'm all out of whack).

I already lifted heavy weights 3x/ week, BUT I was doing moderate cardio, intertwined with hardcore sprints (HIIT), alternating every minute, for a total of 20 minutes, 3x/ week. I just lowered that down to the 'moderate' cardio instead and I am still losing 'fat'.

I can see my muscles now! They are appearing more 'cut' and my arms and tummy look leaner than EVER!

I'm so happy to be eating DELICIOUS food and not feeling hungry, ever!

I haven't done intermittent fasting yet, because when I used to 'fast', it involved the 'Master Cleanse', mostly, and that had a bunch of carbs in the form of Maple Syrup, so the only Ketosis I could achieve, would be on only 7 glasses of the Lemonade, which could be done, but I failed the 1st day I tried :-(

What happened to my resolve? I used to be able to fast and now, I feel like I'm desperate for each meal? (It's all in my head, it's all in my head...)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast