Thread: Seeking help from Triathletes, Duathletes, Runners! page

JonnyH is offline Senior Member

Seeking help from Triathletes, Duathletes, Runners!

Primal Fuel
    Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before, but Iím looking for some help or guidance from anyone who regularly takes part in triathlons, duathlons, running races etc.
    I know it goes against the Paleo model of fitness etc. but I still get the urge to take part in some local duathlons, the odd triathlon, and some off-road runs that are local to me. Iím not talking about racing every weekend, but maybe once a month would be good.
    Also the events are not too long, Iím talking 2 hours max. Iíve never really been into long races, though I did do a half ironman back in 2004.
    For those out there that compete in races, but do it under the guidelines of the primal bluprint fitness plans, what does your typical weeks training look like? How often do you compete in races?
    Do you still do the long slow runs and rides, or just concentrate on short HIIT stuff with weight training mixed in?
    What about fuelling, still mainly lowish carbs with sweet potatoes etc after training sessions?

Any tips would be good, just would be fun to do a few races, it surely wouldnít do too much harm, as long as I didnít race too often would it?

Many thanks.

tsd
    tsd is offline Member
    I'm of the mind that a few races here and there would be perfectly ok.

I found PB in June right in the middle of my training for my second marathon. I got all worried reading about "chronic cardio" and wondered how my body would be able to run that far without giving it all the carbs I was used to. Fact of the matter is my training wasn't very strenuous (weekly mileage was usually well under 30, one week may have reached 40) and I found I got by just fine with Gatorade during the run, and maybe a PowerBar or energy gel if I was running extra far. Other than that, primal eating was sufficient - I didn't feel depleted or very sore at all. Definitely a departure from those pre-primal days. I used to feel those long runs for days afterwards, but now hardly at all.

So my running plans for the future: a half-marathon and handful of 5ks and 10ks each year. I feel like if I continue eating this way I can pretty much stay in shape to run those distances without a lot of additional training. Yeah, I'd still like to do some marathons and longer triathlons, but I'll be more selective, maybe one long endurance event every few years.

dabello1125 is offline Junior Member
    I compete in dus and tris, maybe 5-10 per year for the last few years, sprint length at longest but I would love to qualify for an Ironman someday. I have been primal only since this January. I have had some trouble recently with endurance (hitting the wall on some of my bike rides of length), and I had to reread "Paleo for Athletes" to get my intake right while maintaining at least 80% Paleo. I would train however you normally train, everyone is different. You have to consider that any problems you run into may arise from your intake, not so much your training.

I am considering though, as I have begun reading Mark's Paleo Blueprint, changing the type of exercise I am involved in and transitioning away from constantly training for multisport events...even though I do it purely for recreation.

I hope this helps! If you haven't already, get the book by Friel - Paleo for Athletes. It's about $20 on Amazon.com I think.

mikeyt is offline Senior Member
    half iron man here, with a couple of olympics this year too. I'm never going to win but am normally mid-pack.

Training is either long & slow, fuelled by nut bars / trail mix / water, or short & intense with a carby drink to keep me going if needed. On my long, slow runs I do 5 to 10 minutes running then a minutes walking to keep my heart rate under control, even though it feels like I dont really 'need' to. Eating a big breakfast helps on long training days too.

Gels are just for the 2 or 3 long, hard sessions a year and during races.

Quote Originally Posted by tsd View Post
    I'm of the mind that a few races here and there would be perfectly ok.

So my running plans for the future: a half-marathon and handful of 5ks and 10ks each year. I feel like if I continue eating this way I can pretty much stay in shape to run those distances without a lot of additional training. Yeah, I'd still like to do some marathons and longer triathlons, but I'll be more selective, maybe one long endurance event every few years.
    Hi

Thanks for reply, sounds good to me, I may go for that approach. Like you I feel following the PB guidelines you dont need to do lots of miles to race up to half marathon distance, I'm very light, so can get away with very little running, which is a plus as I'm not keen on long distance running.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dabello1125 View Post

If you haven't already, get the book by Friel - Paleo for Athletes. It's about $20 on Amazon.com I think.
    Have got the book, a friends is borrowing it at the moment!

Thanks for reply.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyt View Post
    On my long, slow runs I do 5 to 10 minutes running then a minutes walking to keep my heart rate under control, even though it feels like I dont really 'need' to. Eating a big breakfast helps on long training days too.
    Hi
    Thanks for reply, will try that on my longer runs, sounds like a good idea, I tend not to want to walk, even up hill, but will now start incorporating that into my runs.

Cheers

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    I started eating PB in July and changed my running up then. I now do 4-5 days easy pace runs about 70 - 80% MHR for 8 - 10 miles and then do two interval workouts per week that consist of a 2-mile warm up, 10 x 200 m intervals with a jog back after each followed by a 1.5-mile cool down. Even with the hard effort on the 200m sprints the warm up, jog backs and cool down after keeps my HR avg for the work out below 140. I figure my Max HR is 180 based on race efforts. I lift weights 4 x per week doing 2 chest and shoulder nights and 2 legs and lower back nights. I've lost 12 lbs since July 4th and my 5k time lowered to 21:44 this past weekend. Prior to that I had not gotten better than 22:15 in 6 years of trying and most of them were 23 - 24 minutes. My 10k from earlier this year was 50 minutes flat so I'm hoping to lower that one in November. The weight loss and intervals have helped a bunch even though I've only been doing them for two months. I think the key will be keeping your easy runs easy and then getting the most out of intervals or hill repeats. I would be lost without the HR monitor as my perceived effort is lousy in hot weather.

Quote Originally Posted by pace2race View Post
    I started eating PB in July and changed my running up then. I now do 4-5 days easy pace runs about 70 - 80% MHR for 8 - 10 miles and then do two interval workouts per week that consist of a 2-mile warm up, 10 x 200 m intervals with a jog back after each followed by a 1.5-mile cool down. Even with the hard effort on the 200m sprints the warm up, jog backs and cool down after keeps my HR avg for the work out below 140. I figure my Max HR is 180 based on race efforts. I lift weights 4 x per week doing 2 chest and shoulder nights and 2 legs and lower back nights. I've lost 12 lbs since July 4th and my 5k time lowered to 21:44 this past weekend. Prior to that I had not gotten better than 22:15 in 6 years of trying and most of them were 23 - 24 minutes. My 10k from earlier this year was 50 minutes flat so I'm hoping to lower that one in November. The weight loss and intervals have helped a bunch even though I've only been doing them for two months. I think the key will be keeping your easy runs easy and then getting the most out of intervals or hill repeats. I would be lost without the HR monitor as my perceived effort is lousy in hot weather.
    Hi, Thanks for reply, I think your right, the HR monitor is key, I've started to use mine again after a couple of years running and riding by feel, and from my last couple of rides with the HR, I was going a little to hard on my easy/moderate rides.
    All good stuff, I'm going to follow a similar protocol to you, except I'm going to do 2 steady runs, 2 steady rides, with sprints on the bike 1 week, and sprints on the run the following week. I also weight train twice a week, so I'll see how that goes.
    Cheers