Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blog Post Suggestion page

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I know that having a workout routine is an important part of the Primal Blueprint. I am a 54-year-old female, 5'6", 227 pounds, in terrible physical condition.

Four months ago when I started PB, I had extremely painful plantar fasciitis and I was in the middle phase of frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis) on the right side. Now, I've lost 20 pounds, the plantar fasciitis is a distant memory, and my shoulder is well on its way to healing. I can actually move in my sleep without waking up. I also have a lot more energy, to the point that I can skip down a few steps and hurry down the sidewalk, which is an unusual feeling for me. I'd like to start a workout routine, but I have no idea where to begin. I think I'm not alone in my dilemma.

So, Mark, how about some help for people like me? I get discouraged looking at workout programs like P90X, as I know it would have to be renamed something like P450X for me to even have a hope of accomplishing it. I can't do any of the beginning moves, and I'm fearful of hurting myself. I already walk a lot, about 3 miles a day, and in the summer I do heavy work in my yard and large garden. But in the winter, I get no exercise beyond the walking. I have room in my basement to do exercises.

Where do I start? My right arm is still quite limited, but working it lightly is good. Please provide some pointers for me and others who need to start from the very bottom. If there's a good program that you can recommend, please do.

Thank you so much,

Sharon

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

p90x is not a great place to start honestly. It is a pretty intense program and one really gets burnt out by month three (at least I did anyways).

I've recommended it more than a few times on these forums but check out bodyweight intervals as a place to start. Just go on youtube and search for Turbulence Training. He's got beginner programs that may appeal to you. You can accomplish some amazing stuff with pure bodyweight exercises.

I grok, therefore I am.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Thank you, Lovestoclimb, I'll check it out. I'd imagine that at 227 pounds I could accomplish some pretty amazing stuff with pure bodyweight exercises! LOL!

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Sharon, good for you on your progress thus far! You've taken the biggest step already so it's all downhill (in a good way) from here.

Do pushups with your knees on the ground until you can do a lot, then try normal pushups. When you first try normal pushups you'll only be able to do a couple, that's fine just drop to the knees and continue. You'll start doing more and more normal all the time.

Do bodyweight squats. At first it might be difficult to squat all the way down, don't worry about it. Just do half squats or whatever you can do. If you're able, do some explosive movements like a half squat followed by a jump in the air. Your jump might only be a couple inches, that doesn't matter either.

If you have small hand weights, hold them when you do your squats. As you come up from the squat raise the weights overhead. That's called a thruster and it's one of the best exercises you can do. If you can't handle weights in your hands at first just press your hands up above your head.

Situps might be tough right now but you could do planks. Lots of examples of planks on Youtube...don't get fancy, just do normal planks as long as you can. You will improve quickly.

There are so many more, hopefully others will add their favorites. The trick is to use large body movements like pushups, squats, etc. and do them as rapidly and intensely as possible. Don't get down on yourself if you can't do what you see others doing...the fact that you're doing it at all means you're way ahead of the game, and before you know it you WILL be doing what you see others doing. Good luck!

Acmebike is offline Member

Do just what Get Primal lists above! Perfecto! And if it fits the budget, consider going to a Crossfit Gym local to you. I find the Crossfit mentality and expertise is in line with Primal/Paleo ideas. In fact the prescribed nutrition for Crossfit is Paleo, through and through.

You could get a Crossfit coach to give you workouts, hold you accountable, encourage you, help you with your form, monitor your progress, make adjustments as needed. I think it'd be worth the money to get a 90 day program set up and paying will help make you get the workouts done. After 90 days, it'll be a habit! And if you can swing a deal with them, you could be a fantastic endorsement with a highly detailed and documented "before and after" sorta project.

You may be able to find another trainer or gym to help, I only suggest Crossfit as my experience shows me Crossfit is NOT mired in Conventional Wisdom!

erstad17 is offline Junior Member

Hi Sharonll, I noticed you're in Seattle. Did you know we have a pretty active group? We just met two weeks ago for a dinnder meet up. A few of our members do Crossfit so if that sounds interesting to you I could get you in touch with them. Just email me at grokinseattle@yahoo.com. We are going to meet up soon so come join us!

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Acmebike is offline Member

No no, Crossfit is tailored to the individual. It is all about building functional strength. Any given Crossfit Affiliate will be different, of course. But our local guys (www.blackhillscrossfit.com) are all encompassing and will do what YOU need to meet YOUR goals. They scale the workouts, they can plan around injuries or special individual needs. It's pretty neat.

There certainly is an image of lean, ripped, sexy, tattooed or edgy folks doing hard exercises, but that's what sells somehow. Certainly don't be put off. The main reason I brought up Crossfit, is that they are NOT CW thinkers, encouraging eating grains, and carbs and doing hours of pointless cardio, eating low fat, counting calories, all that CW jazz a person is likely to get if they attend a typical gym, YMCA, or other fitness center (Curve's for Women, etc).

Where as the Crossfit trainers will reinforce Paleo/Primal nutrition, proper form for movements/lifts, encourage intense and short workouts, fairly infrequent at that. Just right down the line Primal. And tailored just to what the Original Poster is looking to do.

You could (and should) shop your trainers if you got hat route. I do think it is worth it. And Get Primal's routine above sounds fantastic, but it still needs to be scheduled and completed, become a routine. A gym can help that happen.

Annika is offline Senior Member

I started out (in July/August) doing stuff like GetPrimal suggested: squats, lunges, girly pushups, modified pullups (with some of my weight supported). It felt great.... until the tendonitis in my wrists and shoulder started acting up, and a few weeks later,I developed what I think is patellar tendonitis in my knees. I had to back way off. I have since started the Body by Science Big Five program (http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/ and http://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-R...1257257&sr=8-1 ). I heard about it here on MDA; people have gotten good results with it. The program involves once-a-week heavy lifting, either in a gym or with free weights. Lifting is done slowly and to failure. The authors cite a lot of research to back their program up. Lifting only once a week seems too good to be true, but the research they cite shows that results are better if you let the body rest and recuperate. Unfortunately my knees are still bothering me and I've dropped the leg part of the program, but my wrist and shoulder are better. I'm really enjoying the BBS workouts, and I definitely notice a difference in my arms. It's a good program for a beginner.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

The Walk Away the Pounds tapes by Leslie Sansone would be perfect for you. I know you said you're already walking, but she adds variations to make it more challenging: side steps, knee raises, front kicks, back kicks, as well as a few arm movements with light dumbbells. If anything gets too difficult for you, you can drop back into plain old walking.

This can all be done on a 4x6 foot rug in front of your tv.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast