Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cold Shower Challenge page 2

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    a few years ago our water heater quit working and i had to take a cold shower one day, not usually a big deal except it was 12 outside and the water was really really really cold. i literally thought i was going to die while taking the shower it was so cold. it took me 3 hours to warm up and quit shivering after i got out

having said that i will often times rinse off with cold water after a warm shower and its no big deal
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Growing up in Peru I got used to taking cold showers, we didn't at the time have a heating system in the house like we do now ("we" being my relative. I don't live there anymore) it wasn't nearly as cold as NJ cold water though! but I can't stand hot water.

My gf and I can't even take showers together because of our temp preferences. I mean, don't get it twisted, a playa still jumps in the shower, takes care of bidness then allows the lady to exit so he can rinse polar-bear style. I know you didn't need to know that, but I needed to say it.

I'm up for the challenge of taking cold showers as opposed to just cold rinses as I currently do. So, the water is supposed to be cold the entire time? looks like I'm gonna cut my shower time in half. I'll start tonight. I hear cold baths are supposed to help a lot with recovery and limiting soreness, so I'll pay attention to that even though it won't be the same.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    foremost, it's rather false to assume that if someone isn't doing this, then they are not pushing themselves, or making themselves uncomfortable on purpose, or pushing their edges or whatever. there are *a lot* of ways of doing this (meditation being one that is particularly difficult), and they don't have to be physical in nature.

i spent about 7 years taking cool showers with cold-water rinses in the US, wherein I would get out of the shower and feel warm within a few minutes. But here, the hot water heater isn't that efficient, i turn the water off between sections of the shower (washing my hair -- wet, shampoo, rinse -- to save water and power), and it doesn't heat up that high. But, it's warm-ish.

I only do this every 3rd day in winter, because it is cold here. It's a wet, clinging cold. If i switched from my warm shower (and warm sponge baths) -- which is the only way that I can tolerate it -- then I would be cold for hours, perhaps all day, and simply unable to function due to that. And i'm not adverse to being cold, but if it gets to the point of distraction, it's just not good for me. If i can't work because i'm sitting there shivering, because some guy on the interwebs said that i had "no excuse" and 'wasn't pushing myself" -- then that makes no sense, does it?

Anyway, end of the day, i'm a female with about 18% body fat, who has a lot of austere practices -- standing desk, sitting on the floor, practicing yoga, practicing meditation, intermittant fasting, etc -- and I think that if I have a warm shower every third day and a wash-cloth bath every day in between with warm water, it's probably ok.

As it is, i'm not really warm during the winters -- whether i was in PA and walking 5 or 6 miles in the snow (for kicks, and yes, bundled up, but you still get cold) -- or i'm here, where the cold just clings to you, and then the wind rips on through, and the houses are wet, uninsulated, and have limited heat (we are blessed to have some insulation and a gas heater -- but I only use the gas heater about 2 hrs a day IF i feel that we need it, otherwise, we just put on another layer and shiver until you get warm.

So, yeah, i think i'm doing ok, even without cold showers.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    oh, and my showers last about 5-7 minutes, with probably 2-3 minutes of running water. And my bathing (with a cloth), takes longer, but uses even less water, and i just use cold or warm as it comes out of the tap (btw, the tap is divided between cold and hot, and so turning on the hot doesn't necessarily mean hot water coming out!).

but, like i said, that's probably austere enough.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    a few years ago our water heater quit working and i had to take a cold shower one day, not usually a big deal except it was 12 outside and the water was really really really cold. i literally thought i was going to die while taking the shower it was so cold. it took me 3 hours to warm up and quit shivering after i got out

having said that i will often times rinse off with cold water after a warm shower and its no big deal
    It was about 30 degrees out and I was 7 months pregnant when our hot water heater went kaputz. And I hate to skip a shower before work, so in I went. That was not a refreshing experience, lol. Currently I'm enjoying the cold showers, but when winter hits I'm pretty sure that's going to stop.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    I did it!! Ok out of necessity but I did it! Our AC went out... what a miserable night as the house did not cool off well to sleep. A cold shower felt wonderful!!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    If the water is cold, how will it melt the grease off my scalp and face? I already spend a few minutes a day pushing giant white plugs of grease out of my cheeks and nose. Wouldn't shrinking my pores make it even more difficult to get the grease out?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Nevermind. I just took a cold shower and it's amazing. I felt a visceral surge when I plunged my face into the water. After acclimating for a minute at medium temps, I set the dial to cold and put my face in the water as it was reaching its chilliest. I must have activated my mammalian diving reflex because my heart rate is well below 60bmp right now. After a hot shower it's usually beating rather quickly to keep the blood going. And my skin feels nice and tight now, instead of irritated and red. Circulation returned to my fingers as I typed this. Going cold!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    This idea is going over like a...cold shower! No thanks .

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I love cold showers in the summer - in fact, I can't stand the hotter water temps. In the winter, I do warm it up a bit and sometimes go quite warm at the end. Do you think it's better to have a cool/cold shower in the AM or PM? I ask as many nights I lay in bed and feeling a little too warm, consider a quick cool down. Will it help with sleep?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast