Thread: Why isn't Stevia used more often? page

Kaizen Guest

Primal Fuel

It seems most "primal recipes" I see that use sweetener either uses "organic cane sugar". I know coming from a low carb background Stevia and Xylitol were used almost exclusively. I love xylitol, but it's still not certain if the "carbs" can be digested or not, so I figure Stevia is much better. Stevia is an herbal sweetener, it has 0 of anything, and although it has some weird aftertaste it's not bad at all. I know Stevia and Xylitol are used for a ton of things in other countries, and it's not starting to come into US markets. Anyways, so any reason why it seems to be devoid of any recipes here?

chazglen is offline Junior Member

...just an earlier discussion (which hasn't yet been resolved) that ANYTHING sweet, triggers the pancreas to begin pumping out insulin. Which -- if it's true -- would render the carb and calorie count moot.

Stevia does have that same nasty aftertaste that other fake sweetners have.

Kaizen Guest

How can this be with Stevia? To quote:

"However, Stevia can be a part of a healthy diet for anyone with blood sugar problems since it does not raise blood sugar levels."

I just think it's weird that honey is used in these recipes, when it's probably one of the most concentrated of sweeteners out there. Stevia is better overall in this case, and doesn't cause blood sugar to rise.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Personally, I love stevia and use it whenever I want sweet. For baking, Z-sweet erythritol works well though, and it has that "sugar" texture. I don't mind the stevia aftertaste in my drinks. It's kind of "herby"

Kaizen Guest

Well I love Xylitol, in my opinion it tastes exactly like sugar, with a "cool" aftertaste. The only reason I'm not too keen to use it anymore is because they haven't proven that it truly doesn't raise blood sugar, also it has calories. I've never heard of Erythritol, I might have to look that up and try it out. If Stevia didn't have that weird aftertaste, it would be perfect.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

The stevia situation is complex. IIRC, it is banned in the EU but being used in soft drinks in Japan! I think the FDA has a "benign neglect" policy, but stevia does not have the approval/endorsement of it.

Xylitol has almost as many calories as sugars, but one does avoid the fructose poison. Erthrytol has far fewer, almost none. Another IIRC, these sugar alcohols don't do well at higher temperatures, i.e., baking. Stevia and Splenda do OK.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Stevia tastes totally gross to me.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

A commercial on TV for stevia the other night made me laugh. They showed the green leaves of the stevia plant while the voice-over talked about how much better it was to use a natural sweetener rather than something concocted by a chemist, and then it showed the actual stevia product as white fluffy crystals pouring out of a box. If that's not a chemist's concoction, I don't know what is!

BTW, stevia is very easily grown as a container plant. You can put a leaf or two into a jug of iced tea as it's brewing and it doesn't taste too bad. Personally, I'm trying to wean myself off sweet tastes entirely, so I don't use any sweetening products at all.

Kaizen Guest

I'm not big on sweeteners, just like to have some every now and then. I don't see how Erythritol and Xylitol differ much if any, they're both sugar alcohols. Now I realize what the difference is, which is pretty cool when you read about it. Either way, I don't plan on taking them on a regular basis, just think overall it's much better than adding honey.