Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who have eaten this way long-term... food funk? page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

For those who have eaten this way long-term... food funk?

For those of you have been eating this way for awhile... did you go through a time when you didn't eat so well? For instance... I have been primal since January, but for about a month and a half I have been in a food funk and have been eating lots of cheese and processed meat (salami, pepperoni, and deli turkey), and Haagen Daz Five ice cream with raw cacoa nibs. I have also been drinking a lot wine, which leads to eating more of these foods. I have been choosing the best quality cheeses and meats that I can, though, not that's an excuse.

The good thing about this is that in a month and a half I have gained a couple of pounds back... not bad for the way I have been eating. In the past I would have binged grains and foods far worse than cheese and salami. I am going to have to give up the wine to get rid of the cravings. I think I am ready to get back to cleaner eating.

What kind of food funks have you gone through and for how long?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Been doing this for nearly two years. No issues. I do have a glass of wine and a cup of hot cocoa each day (I'm specifically addressing thrombosis) and don't restrict dairy (but only have it in moderation - yoghurt and cheese).

If you're not comfortable with your diet, experiment till you find something sustainable. Try to include a solid breakfast
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Yup. I can't remember if I'm going on 2 or 3 years Primal. This is my 2nd winter, and I started in May... so 3 years...

I've had really good phases, and some not so good phases where I ate too much nut butter or too much cheese, or just too much in general. It feels good though when you get into a "good" phase and everything just fits together nicely.

I think some of us take a little longer to figure out what works best for us.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Been doing this over a year. No funks yet. Maybe a year isn't long enough for them to set in.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Violette is offline Senior Member
    Last September I fell for a cheesecake. Then gelatto, then more cheesecake. It went on for a couple of months. I didn't know about any primal support forums at the time. That would have helped. It was very hard to get back. I never went for grains, skipped the crust for example, but the sugar really hooked me. I'm free of it now. The leptin reset helped me a lot. Just reading what others were eating... I didn't need the reset but did it anyway.. Guess I still am except I exercise before bkfst.

Advice? Stay with the ones who are doing it. Keep listening.
    Wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know.

(teaching of Socrates)

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I did it for 8 months in 2009/2010. Not super-long, but long enough to have experienced a food funk. Mine was over Christmas. The five weeks over Dec included lots of sweets, alcohol and cake. By the 4th week I had only gained 1 pound but I recognized that my old cravings were back in full force, so I started afresh with a detox and colon-cleanse.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I'm one year in and am just now in a bad phase for the first time. I think it is because of combination of two things - I recently tried dropping most fruit to see if I could increase my energy. While I think it is working, I keep finding myself without a quick food item to grab and hold me over. The second is that I have been having tons of problems with kidney stones. It has me a bit out of sorts and maybe a little depressed.

I'm not completely off the wagon, but not nearly where I like to be.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    The second is that I have been having tons of problems with kidney stones. It has me a bit out of sorts and maybe a little depressed.
    Sorry about that. I have four, one of which is causing pain. Doc says that since it is only 2 mm, we need to just wait for it to pass.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I have gone for almost 3 years. In fact it was the wonderful Diana Renatta that roped me in from the runner's world diet forum. I fall off the horse every once in awhile but have been making steady progress every year. Yes I think it is good to measure annually. I started doing this but it has been a real incentive to continue as after losing 100lbs my motivation fell off of a cliff. Day to day changes are subtle but when you can compare annual numbers then you see a real difference. I am looking forward to my 3rd annual measurement in November and I plan to drop another 1" off my waist and still be at the same weight. You just have to find long term motivation to get you back on the horse.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've had a couple of dairy, nut, processed meat funks. These have snuck in because they seem primal for a few moments... Definitely not in my regular repertoire now that I have a handle on what I want to be eating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast