Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do at the gym? page

Athanasey is offline Senior Member

What to do at the gym?

I really like the exercises listed for lifting heavy things in the PB book but at the same time I have a gym membership until February next year and it seems silly not to use it. Especially since there is a creche there so I can take the baby.

So what should I be doing at the gym? I am very weak and the thought of free weights terrifies me!

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    You can do your bodyweight stuff in the gym. Most have pull up bars and mats for pushups, planks, squats etc

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with starting out using machines to build some strength, but you could just as well start out with light free weights and work your way up...

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Nothing wrong with starting out using machines to build some strength, but you could just as well start out with light free weights and work your way up...
    Agree with the above - start with LIGHT freeweights - don't do anything heavy until you are comfortable with the balance. Do a session with a trainer/coach(or a knowledgeable, trusted friend) who can give you useful feedback on your form. Once you're comfortable with the form and balance, increase the weight gradually.

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. I haven't seen a pull up bar anywhere in the gym. I have my plan for the machines that I am meant to follow. I'm due for a plan review so I might ask my trainer if he can show me how to use the free weights instead.

If you are going to the gym, start with light free weights as mentioned above. It would be rash to say that you don't gain ANYTHING from machines, but the benefits of utilizing free weights far out-weigh using a machine (i.e. buidling stability in your muscles/core, proper range of motion, proper positioning/form, etc)

Some machines are good to use initially though, such as pull up assist machines. I say just do negatives, but doesn't mean the machine won't help.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Start light and go from there. I did this a few years ago, and went from lifting a 2 kg dumbbell in one hand (10x3 reps) to 11 kgs in a matter of 4 months. So you will build quickly. Mind you, I wasn't doing a low-carb diet back then, no wonder I could never see my newly gained muscle!

landerson22 is offline Junior Member
    crossfit! take baby steps

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by landerson22 View Post
    crossfit! take baby steps
    Injuries - CrossFit Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast