Thread: Update of diet/meeting with docs page

Update of diet/meeting with docs

Shop Now
    Not too long ago (I'm gonna say about 2 weeks), I posted a thread about concerns with blood work and cholesterol, and that I would be meeting with a ARMY Nutritionist/Dietitian to discuss concerns, and hopefully support my new lifestyle change and return my Basic Allowance for Sustinance, or money for food (the Army has taken away my BAS to provide me with an awesome 'meal card', which I haven't used since going primal).

Nutritionist was no help and displayed no interest in helping me, as I informed them I would not be utilizing the food pyramid as my model for nutrition, and that I refused to consume foods prepared in our 'chow halls'. Because of this, I was referred back to my new Primary Healthcare Physician.

I informed my new doctor that I had adopted a new lifestyle change, and that I was losing unwanted fat, my health has been unbelievable, and life in general is awesome. He asked me for my current weight totals, and I informed him that I had lost 25# and at least 5% bodyfat over the past month and a half.

*a personal trainer at our gym did a body fat test on me my first week of going primal (about 25-27% bodyfat), and last week, after 1 1/2 months of being primal (18.9%)*

He was really at a loss for words...GOOD, supportive, encouraging words, actually. He blatantly stated his disbelief that I could have lost weight in such a short period of time, and if it was weight, it was probably just water weight and muscle mass, and proceeded to lecture me on the conventional, 'safe' way to do things. He also did not believe I lost that much bodyfat in such a short period of time, and wanted a documented memorandum from the person conducting the test.

I returned to the personal trainer (her name is Susan by the way, amazing lady if you are ever on Fort Lewis), and informed her of what had happened with the doctor. She gladly took my bodyfat measurements again after calculating the results, stopped, looked at me with disbelief in her eyes and said:

Susan: Did you take the bodyfat tests post workout last time?

Me: Yes

Susan: Ok. Just to let you know, usually they are incorrect, as its hard for us to get a good 'pinch' with the tools. What was it last time?

Me: 18.9%

Susan: hmmmmm....

Me: Is it bad? Did it misread last week? Am I actually above 20%?

Susan: Well, according to today's 'accurate' measurements, you are now 17.3% bodyfat. Looks like your doc just got served.

Excuse me doc, I stand corrected. I didn't lose 5% of bodyfat, I lost nearly 10%.

Moral of the story is: sometimes it just feels so good to kick conventional wisdom/docs/army docs in the huevos.

TEAM PRIMAL: 1, TEAM CW: 0

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    HA! take that CW!!!!

Question: if you lose weight but are still getting stronger with weight training, didn't you lose fat and not muscle?

The doc you saw assumed the weight loss was "probably just water weight and muscle mass", did he ask you about strength training at all?

Not at all JoPaleo, not at all. I chose not to mention it either because it probably would have blown their mind to know that I do far less exercise and eat far more 'forbidden' foods than the average army personnel, yet I am having amazing results.

They would probably throw something like genetics and metabolism into the conversation to make sense of it all. I should take a friends recommendation and carry a Primal Blueprint book around with me, so when they ask me how I'm doing it, i just point at the book.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Army doctors- Bah!. If you are within the standard (I'm guessing you are young, so 20%), you should be able to get your flag lifted and your BAS restored. Good luck with that. You can try to file (with IG, perhaps) and say that they chow hall was not providing what you needed, but I know a guy who did that some years back and got nowhere. He was a Reservist that gained about 40 pounds in a couple of years eating at the chow hall, and then quit and started losing weight. He even had a pretty good case by CW standards, but it went nowhere.

Good point jfreaksho.

I believe that if it can't be handled at a company level, then its probably not going anywhere. Going to IG would be a waste of time in my opinion.

I should be getting transferred to WTU soon, and I was speaking with my docs about possibly helping those on their way out to convert/'adopt a new life style'. If the Army won't help them, I'd damn sure will.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles.kealoha View Post
    They would probably throw something like genetics and metabolism into the conversation to make sense of it all. I should take a friends recommendation and carry a Primal Blueprint book around with me, so when they ask me how I'm doing it, i just point at the book.
    good point. why bother arguing with them when all they're gonna do is come up with some other excuse why primal is not the reason you are succeeding.