Thread: EFAs or Fish oil? page

Kaizen Guest

Well I'm not looking to cause a rift here, just want some honest answers. I'm a big fan of Universal's Animal Omega, it's one if not the only supplement that is a "complete" Essential Fatty Acid supplement. Here is a link to the supplement:

http://animalpak.com/html/sections.cfm?id=61

It's a great supplement in my opinion but I'm wondering why I should pick the Fish Oil from "Primal Nutrition" over this. This seems like it would cover more bases. Just want some educated opinions. I've taken Animal Omega and I liked it, although I can't say I was taking it when I had a serious clean diet.

Mr B Guest

1) No one says you HAVE to pick anything from primal nutrtition

2) Though I've never used Animal Omega, one thing that stands out is that it also contains 6s. Considering most people have too many 6s in their diet already, a supplement with only 3s would be better (generally) in creating a better balance between the two.

nina_70 Guest

If you're looking for omega-3 supplement what's important is, specifically, how much EPA and DHA you're getting. There's ~25 different kinds of fatty acids in fish, so not every supplement has the same level of content. So, pick the one with the highest levels of EPA and DHA.

Just personally, I wouldn't take a supplement with any Omega-6 in it. We get enough of those from our diet, in general, and you'll get naturally good levels of O-6 eating Primal. Some specific "beneficial" omega-6's like CLA, for example, are found in good quantities in grass-fed meat/dairy so if you're eating Primal you're getting them already. And...the natural version of CLA may be better than the synthetic version anyway. See here:

http://www.eatwild.com/cla.html

Kaizen Guest

That makes perfect sense, thanks. I'll increase my Omega 3's since I rarely eat fish, it'll definitely help as well.

Mr B Guest

PrimalCon New York

t-nation.com

Flameout