Thread: Knee injury and down 2 inches page

ar0e is offline Member

Knee injury and down 2 inches

I gracefully took a dive down the stairs a few days ago and my knee is killing me. I don't think it's anything serious, just bruised badly, but I definitely can't do any squats or push-ups for a little while (I'll admit it, I do 'girl' style push ups still) Does anyone have any good lower body exercises that don't involve any bending of or putting weight on the knee? A kettlebell and the asphalt are my gym equipment, as of right now I can walk without too much pain.

Also, even though the scale hasn't budged, I have lost 2 inches off my waist and 1.5 off my hips this month! Woohooo Go ME!!!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Awww. Sorry.

Rest is just as important as exercise.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

ar0e is offline Member
    THanks, I guess I'm just gonna practice my pull-ups, I do start yoga next week so maybe that will help, too. If nothing else, maybe it will improve my coordination

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    I would say just keep walking. My knee tends to lock up when I get inactive and is really painful sometimes. Usually it only starts when I'm at the BF's - where I'm lying on the sofa for most of the time... Coincidence? Pixie thinks not. So mine gets better by spending about 1-3 hours walking a day.
    If you have a local pool, you could always go there to do some underwater squats, as a lot of weight and pressure is taken off and stuff =D

I hope your knee gets better soon, and well done on the lost inches!
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PixieKitten View Post
    I would say just keep walking. My knee tends to lock up when I get inactive and is really painful sometimes. Usually it only starts when I'm at the BF's - where I'm lying on the sofa for most of the time... Coincidence? Pixie thinks not. So mine gets better by spending about 1-3 hours walking a day.
    If you have a local pool, you could always go there to do some underwater squats, as a lot of weight and pressure is taken off and stuff =D

I hope your knee gets better soon, and well done on the lost inches!
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

kristiashley is offline Senior Member
    Rest for sure, walking is good too and the pool is a great suggestion. I slipped down a few steps years ago, never fell, just stumbled and it ended up that my femur was crushed in my knee. So, just make sure you go see the ortho if the pain doesn't subside.

Great job on the inches lost!

ar0e is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kristiashley View Post
    Rest for sure, walking is good too and the pool is a great suggestion. I slipped down a few steps years ago, never fell, just stumbled and it ended up that my femur was crushed in my knee. So, just make sure you go see the ortho if the pain doesn't subside.

Great job on the inches lost!
    Wow, that's scary! I definitely will get checked out if it doesn't get better.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, I'm going to get in the pool as soon as it warms up today, maybe it will loosen things up in my knee.

kristiashley is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, leg lifts are also great. Strap on some weights, lay down and lift your leg in all for directions (laying on your back, stomach and each side). Great way to strengthen the muscles without stressing the knee). Of course wait until the pain subsides a bit. Good luck!