Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your take on anxiety medications? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

What's your take on anxiety medications?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Over the past year, I've gotten nauseous a LOT, and thrown up way more than usual, even though I was eating primal. In fact, deviating from primal seemed to make no difference. I've discovered that I'm pretty sure this is stress/anxiety related. As I head into my last year as a graduate student, I can feel my symptoms coming back that were absent during the summer. The stomach aches, feeling overwhelmed and agitated, makes my thoughts of the fall semester so dismal I've decided to seek professional help with the possibility of taking medication.

However, I'm a little intimidated because I've never had to go on any serious meds before and I'm not sure how they will react with my body or what side effects I need to watch out for. Anyone here have advice/information/resources about these kinds of medication? I don't want to walk into the Dr.'s office clueless.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    They can be a lifesaver, but it's not a decision to make lightly. Getting off of them can be brutal, and the side effects are no joke. That being said, anxiety can make life seem not worth living.

A close friend of mine went off of hers as soon as she built up her emotional supports, because it killed her feelings and sex life.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I would agree that there is a place for anxiety and depression meds, but that there are a lot of nonmedical things you can do to deal with your anxiety. People meditate, rely on social supports, get therapy and some use acupuncture or other non traditional approaches. I would think it would make sense to see if some of these other methods might help you before going to drugs.

Also, I have had periods of anxiety in my life that were triggered by PTSD. If that is the case, I definitely think it is better to deal with the cause than to just take the meds.

Edit - you don't have to be in a war zone to get PTSD. Any highly stressful event can do it.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    every single study that has been done on depression and anxiety finds that the best approach is to COMBINE therapy with meds. Meds work faster, therapy can actually fix the problems. Talk to the doc about your hesitations and consider starting with a medication you take on an as-needed basis. If you need it more than the doctor thinks is healthy, then look at the more systemic, daily use meds.

For me, antidepressants are a fact of life, I need them to function no matter how much therapy I get. This may be the case for you, or, more likely, you need the help to get through a rough patch and then won't need it any more. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or just want some more personal advice from someone who has been there.

leavesofthree is offline Junior Member
    Hi jqbancroft,

"It's no fun to be the man" as Ben Folds sings. In my reading I've found stress and anxiety are mostly unrelated to diet(although there is some similarity of structure within the endocrine system). I wouln't go on meds for this any more than I would go on statins or weight loss pills. This is the other area of health that I've been reading about over the past year. The best I found was a documentary about Robert Sopalsky called Stress: Portrait of a Killer. The film looks at 2 studies, one done on an African group of monkeys(done by Sopalsky) and another done on the British Civil Service about how levels of rank correlate with levels of cortisol and glucacortoids(the 2 critical stress hormones). It's available instantly on netflix if you have it. Otherwise Google the work of Sopalsky and you'll a lot of good information.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i'm on a low dose of zoloft, it's helped with panic attacks but i still have a healthy sex drive

take a moment to breathe when you get anxious, have some therapy, try meds if you want. you'll feel better
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all for your kind responses. Just having some people encourage me that I will feel better or that you've been there and are willing to offer specific council really helps. Thank you so much.

Overall, you guys have me great ideas for what I'd like to discuss with my doctor. I have a much better idea of what I want to talk about what I expect to get. I've tried some non-medical treatments already (meditating, yoga) but I'll discuss them and other methods more thoroughly with my doctor and also explore therapy before attempting a low-dose medication. Additionally, thank you for sharing about the potential for changes in sex drive as that's something I definitely don't want to lose

I welcome any further tips/perspectives, but I just wanted to pop in and say this has been helpful already!

Chevalrose is offline Junior Member
    I'm currently weaning off my current SSRI for anxiety (OCD related and panic disorder). Last year I went through a VERY stressful time that made me all out of whack. I started yoga and meditating as well as counseling. My counselor suggested going on meds short-term just to get me past the winter (she wanted me to be on it for a year). This was all before I decided to start going paleo and become more generally 'holistic'. I'm now learning about other supplements that can be used for anxiety/depression and working with my endocrinologist (since I have thyroid disease) to try these out. I wish I had known about these other alternatives BEFORE going on the SSRI because they really are a bitch to withdraw from (this is my second time withdrawing from this med...it sucks).

My advice would be to seek more natural therapies before medication. Working with a counselor is great. Some supplements that help with anxiety/depression are tryptophan and 5HTP. Also, your adrenals can have an impact on your anxiety, especially since it seems like you've been overwhelmed. I suggest reading 'The Mood Cure' by Julia Ross. It's very insightful on different natural avenues to treating anxiety/depression. If all else fails, there is always medication.

I know how much anxiety can suck, but personally, I've found that medication is a short term solution and/or a band-aid.

mattdow is offline Junior Member
    Just a side note... have you seen a primary care doc to rule out other reasons for the nausea? It could be anxiety, but you also want to make sure it's not something else like an ulcer...

If it is anxiety I'd look into learning skills to manage it (with or without meds). There's nothing more powerful than managing ones own anxiety responses. Meds can be very useful, and also knowing how to calm yourself will be hugely beneficial

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I encourage you to check out the Anxiety and Phobia workbook if you have it at your local library (or order it)...good information inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast